Home Forums Road Racing Track Day Talk

This topic contains 167 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 3 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 168 total)
  • Author

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I have been having trouble with this cell phone, the spare is in the shop and will be ready tomorrow.

Sam called but I missed him. I’ll get some questions answered tomorrow and get back here to let Y’all know what’s going on.

Dave, is it safe to say if we do just a single day gig that the 15th is OK????

Dave Ahrens
    Participant

yes I could make the 15th.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I spoke with Sam, good news….. he will honor all the “perks” of the single day gig for a full weekend as well.

He finds it hard to believe that Y’all would drive all the way back there on consecutive weekends but…..

He is willing to reschedule us IF another weekend is still available. Thats a BIG if…. I would bet at least the Saturdays will be booked for all of April before we actually get out there. Of course, this would ONLY apply if we had to cancel/reschedule before the weekend in question (like last April). If we cancel before 7am on the morning of the Saturday of the lease, I’m off the hook for the EMT but the marshalls will have to be paid for coming out.

Enough talk about rescheduling…. we have not picked a date yet! Besides, the once in a millenium weather issue was LAST year!!!! We will be good to go!!!

I’m calling my guys here in town to get an idea on the date too.

Keep looking in, I’ll have more coming soon!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

I had Sam pencil us in for the April 8-9 weekend. The guys in town here were ok with any available date so I chose the one we had been booking annually.

We had 80 “looks” at the USGPRU website but not 1 response. Long story short their Eastern US series did not compete last year as the participation was so low going in that they scheduled no events!

So, its all karts or we’ll have to dial it back to a single day. I’m not giving up on a full weekend, there is a good number of guys that really want this 2 day option to come about so I’ll stay at it until we’re out of time.

I’m still throwing figures around, not everyone will be able or willing to do a full weekend (bro Rich…). So, trying to figure how many singles vs full weekend entries will be needed to pull off the double is like a moving target!

I’ll have more soon!

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Count me in for both days.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Things are starting to come a bit more in to focus. Here is what I have at the moment…..

The numbers I’m shooting for to do a full weekend is 35-40 guys/karts @ $175 each for 1 day or $250 each for a full weekend.

An event entry on average is $125, for a sprint chassis that is 1 – 30 minute race and a couple 8 minute runs in practice. (About $142 per hour, or $125 per hour of track time if you got 4 / 8 min runs of practice)

We will have open track time from 9-5 with the usual 30-45 minutes for EMT’s and Corner Personel to get lunch. So, 7 hours per day or 14 total hours of all the laps you can do for $175 – $250.

For a single day, thats $25 per hour, for the weekend…. $17.85 per hour.

Guys, the indoor joint wants $20+ for 8 minutes in a rental…… @35mph.

If we do pull off the full weekend Dinner is on me! It will directly follow the days activity on Saturday at 5pm in the MX garage. If not, Lunch is on me!!!! Either way we will have Curt setting up that yummy smoked beast & fixin’s for us!!!

Still working over the Insurance, trying to figure how to get spectator pricing cheaper than driver cost. I’ll figure it out!!!!

Got a list going, let me know what your intentions are so I can keep score at home. There are 10 or so 2 day guys, 3 single day and 1 not sure yet but we’re just getting started.

Hang in there, its gonna warm up!!!

Gregory Stamm
    Participant

Robert,  Put me down for one day of testing.  Thanks, Greg Stamm

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Thanks Greg, I’ll make a note of that.

Guys,

Let me add, if anyone pays for *Saturday only then decides to stay for Sunday as well, they will only be required to pay the difference of the additional $75.

*You are also welcome and invited to stay for Dinner and camp, then drive home Sunday if you like.

Because the Management has been gratious enough to allow us to camp at no charge you will be responsible for keeping your general area free of garbage. If you park/pit/camp in the lower paddock you will be responsible to aquire a provided trash container AND return it to where you got it. Being April, and early in the season schedule, there is a chance that Potty’s and trash cans may not have been distributed so just keep this in mind if you prefer to park in the lower paddock area.

We have about 12 full weekend participants and 5 single day folks as of now, a couple of these plan on Sunday only. This is a very optimistic start, there is a lot of enthusiasm for a full weekend with the open format!!!

Any questions, post here or hit my email: f-125@hotmail.com

Bob Cole
    Participant

Robert,   My brother Larry would like to be included in on the one day practice, he needs some seat time with his Tag kart.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Cool. Thanks Bob, I’ll pencil him in!

Ya know, you have a LONG LOST SON around here somewhere….. ah, forget it, he’s probably got more rust than Titanic!!!!!

I’d pay money to see him give that Vintage Twin a go!!!!

Bob Cole
    Participant

He has only tried a laydown once that I know of, ’96 at a Gingerman test day. And then he said never again.LOL

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

I have a feeling we picked the wrong weekend!!!!

Grattan weather Feb 18-19:

sunny

Feb 18  Sunny, High 57F

partly cloudyFeb 19  Partly Cloudy, High 54F

So, its gonna be like 80 in April????? 🙂

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Think I’ll take the bike for a rip on Saturday!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

The “Boss” pointed this out to me, I need to clairify a previous statement….

“Let me add, if anyone pays for *Saturday only then decides to stay for Sunday as well, they will only be required to pay the difference of the additional $75.”

I should have been clear that this option will only be available if we had gotten enough pre paid participation and interest to lease for the full weekend in advance. There is no guarantee Sunday will be available if it isn’t part of the original lease agreement.

Anyway, we are looking pretty good right now. I hope we can get enough 2 day guys that this won’t be an issue.

Thanks Boys!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

I fully intended to get the Insurance pass details squared up and posted today but its just going to have to wait one more day….. or until I get a call back!!!

Being that its my first trip down this path I want to be absolutely sure ALL the “T’s are crossed and I’s dotted”. Next time….. the training wheels will be off!!!

I got a few calls this AM about when to send a check, must have been that nice weather yesterday!!  So, we will now start accepting payment for the April 8-9 weekend. We will not take entries at the gate, you must be prepaid to participate, this is a “Closed Private Test”. All passes will be paid for and issued at the gate.

Send entry here: Robert Lawson 17731 Ivanhoe St. Roseville, MI. 48066

*please include all driver names, kart class, and if single day what day you intend to participate.*

Thanks, I’ll have more soon.

RPM

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Robert Lawson.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey Y’all,

I STILL have not heard back from the Insurance guy! Will be calling again tomorrow to get these last few questions answered before time to apply and pay fees.

Sorry for the delay!

Still waiting on the mail to see who makes this years “podium” as first, second, and third envelopes to arrive!! 🙂

As soon as I hear from the “guy” I’ll pass on that info.

Thanks Guys,

RPM

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Robert:   My check has left the grid.  We’ll have to see how she finishes . . .

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Sounds good Bruce, I’ll be scoring the race here at the mail box!!!! 🙂

I finalized all the Insurance requirements, made some consessions, and this is what I came up with:

Drivers – 2 day $20,  1 day – $15
    Crew/Spectator – 2 day $15 – 1 day $10

I’m happy with this, it was important to me that I find a way to make this affordable for everyone AND provide quality coverage.

So, now we just need to pull this thing off. Lets not make the Boss nervous, get your check here early!!!! (She Thanks You 🙂 )

Thanks Guys,

RPM

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Hey Robert – I’m definitely in for both days. I need to check with Ken to see if he wants to come along. But it’s going to be 2-3 weeks before I can send a check. I’m pretty much broke after paying vet bills.

My dog Enzo developed a serious health issue earlier this week but the absolute worst part is he just passed away in my arms about two hours ago as I was about to load him into the van to rush him to the vet clinic (again).

Sorry to cast such dark clouds over this thread, but I thought you should know.

🙁

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Todd,

I’m sorry to hear that, I feel your pain bro!

You know Cher and I are dog folks too and our girls are getting older as well. Its tough, Harry had to put his little buddy down just a few weeks ago, he is still a bit lost without “Chance”, (Jack Russell),  following him everywhere.

I’m really hoping for GOOD weather so I can bring the girls AND Cher!!!! The dogs just love Grattan and do not seem to mind the noise while at the track.

Hang in there buddy!!! When one door closes, another opens….

Stay in touch,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey guys,

I think I figured this out….

I posted a note and video a bunch of times and it kept kicking me back to the first page?? And NO post or video!!

Anyway, I found more lost video today. Thought I’d share with y’all!!!

This is an uneventful clip but I want to see if you can catch when someone is in my tow. Its clearly noticeable, (rev lights) you can almost feel it!

Who is it you say??? Oh no you don’t!!! You will have to watch to find out!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwF5_Df6Ag

Robert Lawson
    Participant

The “podium” is complete!!!

Top step goes to Eric Chappell!!

2nd Dean Axe (has 2 drivers)

3rd Larry Cole

Bruce Peck and Mike Burrill were post marked the same as Larry, but,  Mr. Cole had the tie breaker with an earlier date on his check!!!! 🙂

Its all good fun!! Been getting texts and email so I’m leaning past hopeful to optimistic that the full weekend will take place.

More to come……

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Aww, sorry to hear about Chance. I met him last year at Grattan. He was a cute little guy, but he sure wasn’t a fan of my big dogs. LOL

It’s never easy to say goodbye to our furry friends. Enzo left a huge hole in both my heart and my wallet, but the wallet will be a heck of a lot easier to fill. I’ll try to get you a check next Friday.

George Sunderland
    Participant

Rob:  Sent you an e-mail about one of your karts.  Also, anything more on the Glen or Pocono?

Geo

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Geo,

I have not got any e mail yet…. still have some of your stuff here though!!!! (pipe/cases)

Ran out of time last Fall, we’ll look into it again in the Spring here.

Todd,

Yer Fam, just get ‘er here asap Bro. We got some time.

I’ve tried posting more video right here 4 times now….. screw it…. I give up!

Even the “inset link” dont work…… I give.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Robert Lawson.
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication