Home Forums Road Racing Track Day Talk

This topic contains 167 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 3 hours, 53 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 168 total)
  • Author

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Alan,

Thats why I “pencil in” the names!!!! Too bad, we always have a good time out there. Tell bro John I said Hey.

Ardy, you have to come. Lunch alone will be worth the trip!!! 🙂

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Beautiful day here today!

Was out in the Garage looking into Rich’s water pump issue. Long story short it has some grunkis in it and now works and sounds fine. Of course, it got me thinking….wonder if mine needs a cleaning! Uncovered the kart, plugged a battery in and flipped the switch…..ah yes, running like it was new! Shut it off and started to walk away…..then I heard…..gurgle, gurgle, gurgle…..

My luck can not be any worse. As I turned I saw the devastation, that tell tail sign of doom. A puddle started to appear as a stream of water drained off the floor tray onto the garage floor……directly under the engine!

Seems this one suffered the same fate as the first! Bummer, I just don’t understand how it happened. The first time I forgot to drain the system after an April test day that was followed by a cold snap. I drained all the water at the track in October this past fall at the end of the day. Guess you have to get every bit of water out of that void in the crankcase!

So, I have learned yet another lesson. If you can’t store your kart in your bedroom its best to put anti freeze in the system just for Winter!!!!

What a foolish mistake. None the less……we have just about a month until the test day and I intend to drive something!!! We’ll figure it out, I can’t let y’all have all the fun!!!! (although that would put me first in line for lunch….hmmm???)

Send those entries guys, and….check your water system too!!!! 🙂

RPM

Dennis Chappell
    Participant

Robert

Not sure if this will make u feel any better,

A few years back we were running the Rotax series and had just purchased a new cylinder (can’t remember why) and installed it for a test day at New Castle. It was early spring if I remember right, we drove half way (5hr drive to NCMP) Friday night so we could get a early start Saturday morning. Arrived at the track early to a cold but nice day to test. Got kart out fired it up and water came running out of that new cylinder (cracked). Guess it got colder than we thought friday night at the motel.  10 hours on road,gas,cylinder,food, and family time together you gota love this sport.

Dennis

see ya at the test

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Dennis,

Sounds like you and I should not hang to closely at the track….or in route for that matter!!! 🙂
    I spoke to Eric via text (which I hate doing by the way!) about your experience with the Maxter and some gearing questions. Would LOVE to get my hands on a Maxter KZ but it is just out of my ballpark on $$$.

Missed out on a couple engines here on EKN in the past few months. Looking at past ad’s a few folks got some great deals. I’ll keep looking, maybe something will pop up, you never know.

I have free access to a newer model YZ250 and if nothing else comes up I may just give it a try. Might be fun at MIS!!!

Guys,

Ardy asked in a PM when the “drop dead” date for entry is as his guys are still building up their package. I will not take entries at the gate. This isn’t a “business” for me, and making $$$ although nice, is not why we do these things. Think about it…..where and when other than Grattan in April/Oct can you get a decent road course, all to yourself (+/- 25), for the entire day with EMT, safety/marshalls, and don’t forget the best part….LUNCH all that and more for under $200!!!?????

You can’t. THAT is why we do this.

So, yes…there must be a deadline. Leaving time for checks to clear, I really need to have all entries here by the 1st of April.

Bruce was first, not surprising hes from Indy! Of course my pal Racer “X” was a close second and Ted came third on the USPS podium!!! I’ll work on trophies for y’all.

We need 20 more to load the mail box beside Rich and I. Oh yeah…thats right, a frozen engine isn’t going to keep me off that track… big daddy is coming to play!!! I may not have my standard ride but I do have friends with stuff I can turn laps in.

I’ll update our progress regularly.

Back Soon!

RPM

Dennis Chappell
    Participant

Robert

I know Eric and I feel awful lucky to be able to get 2 practice days in at our favorite track the last few years.

So thanks for getting it set up each year.

And I will try and stay my distance from you.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Dennis,

You are more than welcome to hang next to us….I just feel sorry for the track owners if that happens!!!! 🙂

Guys,

We are just about 1/2 way to the number needed to get this done. I have had contact of one type or another from many more so I’ll be patient for another week or so. 😉

Larry mentioned doing a few hotdogs or burgers just in case someone doesn’t like brisket??? Personally, I do not eat red meat but I do make the occasional exception….this being one of them!!!

More to come,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Rich and I were screwing around out in the garage yesterday and though we’d record and share it with you. It reminds me of Wayne & Garth!!

This is obviously the result of “Cabin Fever” and can only be cured with a test day and lunch with 25 friends!!!

See Y’all later!!!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Folks,

If you intend to participate in this Test Day you are running out of time!

Your entry must be here (in my hand) no later than mail call on Friday April 1st.

We will not accept entries at the track!!!

Those Faasen boys (track owners) are pretty good salesmen I must say! Just off the horn with Curt (the Chef!) on vaca down in the Florida Keys and he talked me into doing not just a Beef Brisket but also a nice  Pork Tenderlion as well. Never should have called after a 3 day fast!!!

The homemade smoker will be working overtime at the track. If the engine needs more repair than Rich did (which looks fantastic by the way!) there is no down side…..I will be over at the MX building taste testing instead of track testing!!!!

Look forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks!

RPM

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Mmmmmmmmmmmm . . . tenderloin.

Gregory Stamm
    Participant

Robert,  I sent my check a week or so ago .  Did you receive it?  Greg Stamm

Anonymous

I put my check in the mail today. I’ll be bringing my Leopard-powered TaG and running front brakes, it will be nice to run a long track for a change!

Collin Johnson
    Participant

I will be joining as well in my moto shifter. Im new to the area and look forward to meeting lots of new faces!

-Collin

Mike Peters
    Participant

Did you find a replacement motor Robert?

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Bruce, yes!!! 🙂    Looking forward to lunch!!

Greg, yes!!!! 😉   I’ll be going to the bank tomorrow!!

Mike, no! 🙁   External cases are welded, test day will answer questions!!!

I held all checks until now, you never know how these things will shake out. We will have enough drivers so I’ll deposit what I have so far on Monday. I have taken a few calls and will be looking in the mail for them this week too.

Remember, your entry must be here by Friday if you want to participate.

More coming…..

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Mail box had a few more today so we look real good now!

Checking the Accuweather forcast for Grand Rapids 4-9-16 is as follows:

H 62, real feel 67, partly sunny with a chance of shower or T storms, precip 35%

Thats pretty good with what is forcast to be passing through here (there) between now and then.

I’ll keep you posted but I think we will have a great day out there!

RPM

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Just dropped a check in the mail about 10 minutes ago. you should get it Saturday or Monday. Looking forward to it…

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Todd,

Got it today! (Friday)

I also had a couple guys drive over and drop off their fee’s too, none wanted to be left out!!!

Worked on Rich’s kart today trying to help him get ready. He has needed to send his Digatron back to have new connections put on the guage. I hate this set up, the little posts break off the brass connectors and the leads will not stay pluged in. He has still not sent it back so I rigged it up and they will more than likely work for the day. Rewired his water pump and installed a run light so he remembers to turn it on!!!!

The overwelming majority of karts are CIK 125’s, we should see 3-4 250’s, 3-4 CIK TAG’s, 3-4 air cooled karts of different types and just Rich and I in F-125’s.

The forcasts seems to be holding up but the high temp is steadily dropping! Last look said H 50 with partly sunny skies and 0% chance of precip.

We’ll be fine!!! Looking forward to getting lots of video and tons of laps!!!

More soon,

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

What a difference a week makes!

Last Monday the forecast was for highs in the 60’s, a few days later the 50’s, over the weekend into the 40’s, and now…..thats right….the 30’s!!!!

No chance of precip but damn cold. Speaking with the Chef today, finalizing all the details on the food, he mentioned that someone has rented the track for Sunday the 10th. There was always that chance although it has never happened before. On that note, we have also never had to postpone or reschedule!

So, our back up plan has changed. Lets hope we won’t need to deal with that.

I do not have another back up date yet, I didn’t speak to Sam in the office today. I’ll do that in the AM tomorrow (uh, at 1:04am I guess thats today!) Tuesday 4-5-16.

I’ll be back here before lunch with an update on this. Stay tuned!!!!

RPM

• This reply was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  Robert Lawson.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

As promised, here is what is happening:

I spoke extensively with Sam Faasen this morning about the possibility of extremely frigid overnight temps and a very cold high temp for Saturday 4-9-16. We agreed that regardless of precipitation the current forecast trend would be incompatable with water cooled engines and the use of anti freeze would NOT be an acceptable alternative. So, at this point, being only Tuesday, we will wait and watch the forecast before making any decision on rescheduling.

A group rented the facility for Sunday 4-10-16, so that as I mentioned is no longer an option for a backup date. Sam mentioned having 2 open weekends on their schedule in the month of May that may be used as alternatives. This is not a high percentage of likelyness though, he already has groups negotiating these dates. As business practice they prefer to take full weekend bookings before single weekend days. I completely understand this.

Right now, we will wait to see how the next 2 days play out with a forecast. I will be going out there regardless of the outcome.

So, we do have options. I have not finished exploring all of them so it isn’t possible to mention some just yet. I’ll be back with more as soon as I get info.

Be patient and watch the weather guys!

RPM

Bruce Peck
    Participant

I know many people can’t swing it, but I’d be up for a weekday if it could work out.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Bruce, PM me a contact # please!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Each of you whom have sent payment for the test day please hit my e-mail with a contact # so I can text or reach you in short order.

f-125@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Robert

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

I was considering buying a couple of electric blankets to wrap around the rear of the kart to keep it from freezing up once I get it running – lots of work to do yet and it’s still too effing cold in the garage!

Email sent. I can do a weekday if necessary.

Robert you already have my contact info.  It is pretty cold and rainy here today. Hopefully this weekend pans out,  but so far it’s looking pretty rough on this side of the state.  If not I could do a week day with a little notice.

H

2008 GP 8 Honda 125 / TM K9B
    Building F125 Enduro

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey Y’all,

First, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It certianly helped in speaking with all of you yesterday! (still suffering with radiation head!)

By now you have been informed by email or text that we have officially postponed the Test Day for this Saturday, April 9th.

Just too darn cold!!!

I will be driving out there Saturday to negotiate a new date and take video of what you missed. 😉

The “car group” has been calling with the same concerns (rain & snow Sunday!), I think they were waiting for us to postpone so they could bump up to Saturday!!!! Sissies, they have multi layer suits and heat cars!!! 🙂

So, I should be home early enough to post up the video of the conditions out there and have a new secure date from your input to shoot for.

If you have any new questions or concerns, or something I didn’t address yesterday, please let me know. You can talk here, PM’s or email.

Thanks Guys!!!!

Robert

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication