Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 Spare sprockets and drive gears

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  William Weiler 4 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

What should I buy to be ready for different tracks? I raced at Fresno and the 14/58 combination on my TonyKart 401s seemed about right. I have spare 57 and 59 tooth sprockets. Is there any other drive gears or sprockets racers like to have on hand for different tracks?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 and 62

We only run 16 tooth driver.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Ditto what Freddy said on axle gears, but we go up to 66 or so. Get one of everything and a spare chain.  Sprint racing we run 15 drivers, but my Son and I also road race.  For that we run 21 tooth drivers.

Clark Sr.

William Weiler
    Participant

My builder said he put 14/58 on my Kart but this is not what racers run. The spec Max-Torque SS clutch comes with 17t and people here run 15t and 16t. Maybe he made a mistake. I will count the teeth when I get home.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

From now on. Forget what your builder said. He’s not the one driving the kart

You’ll get good info here, and with the guys at the track.

Find out what the fast guys are running, take a good look at them and see how fat and short, or tall they are. You can learn a lot from the guys that are kicking your butt.

You still haven’t answer my previous questions I asked, about how heavy or tall you are, year and model kart, etc. This is really important if you want your questions answered, I really meant it.

And it will make it a lot easier to stay on one topic, just ad a new question, that way you’re not all over the place. Glad to help.

William Weiler
    Participant

I am 5’9″ and 193lbs. I had to add 20lbs at Fresno to make 394lbs. I run a 2016 TonyKart 401s.

I think I got the gist of gearing. There is a general rule of gearing, to hit the rev limiter at the end of the straight, but the final decider is lap time. Copying what faster guys do is a good guideline, and helps you discover things, but gearing is ultimately personal for what makes you faster.

You guys answered my question about what range or gears/sprockets are good for customizing gearing for most tracks. I won’t buy the whole range at the outset, but a few more around the median. It will be fun to experiment.

I felt somewhat upset I maybe started at a low gearing, but every time I asked my builder why he did something, I find the decision he made was well thought out.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Awesome!

Thank you.

Builders sometimes can get very emotional, and they get their feelings hurt when you ask questions Lol, they thing you may be questioning their ability to thing or how they perform.

Hitting the rev limiter at the end of the straight away is ok, but it is a lot better if you hit it a lot sooner, like at the start/finish line or a little bit passed that. And that will help you get off the corners faster, till you get smoother and faster.

Now keep in mind the fast guys may run a much taller gear, but they are very good drivers, smooth and do not make too many mistakes, plus their chassis is most likely very well tuned, so yeah that sprocket will work for them very well, but not for a newbie.

Are you gonna race this Sunday at Button Willow? This would be a good practice race, besides we’re racing in Bakersfield Saturday night, and head over to Button Willow in the morning if you wanna join us?

William Weiler
    Participant

Freddy – thanks for the invite. It’s difficult to get down to SoCal from Morgan Hill because of weekend responsibilities, but when I have both Sat and Sun free I will definitely come. Getting there and getting back in one day would stretch me really thin.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

William Weiler
    Participant

I ran a 53t/16t at Atwater, seemed to work well.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication