Home Forums Road Racing SMC Axle Clutch — weight installation ??s

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martin A. Secrest 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I have a SMC axle clutch that I’m setting up for the first time, and have calculated what weights I need.  When I installed them, however, I noticed that the brass weights are “full length” and completely fill the hole in the shoe, while the tungsten weights only fill about 2/3rds of the hole.  Is it ok to run the clutch with the empty sections, or do I need to find a plastic plug to press in to keep the tungsten weights from bouncing around…

FWIW, I’m running a “sprint” configuration with 230g of weight for a stall around 1300 rpm…

Thanks…~Ted

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Space is ok, text me at 417-496-0428, and I’ll give you Mark Schooneover’s number. He is a guru who will answer questions.

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Thanks, Ric.  I was planning on giving Pudge (Pete Tyer) a call since he’s the one who rebuilt it for me…  If I can’t get it straight, I’ll txt you.  Appreciate the quick answer.

Ric mcDade
    Participant

No prob, usually me asking, you answering, nice switch for a change. 🙂

Martin A. Secrest
    Participant

You don’t need anything else in the hole with the tungsten. The gap is not as great as you describe, but in either case it doesn’t matter, because there’s isn’t enough room between the weights and the speed collar for it to come out, and the gap narrows as the weight goes up the ramp. In other words … don’t worry about it. 😉

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I was more worried about dynamic imbalance than it falling out, but good to know… Thanks!  ~Ted

Martin A. Secrest
    Participant

Run them any way you want – one weight, two weights, or no weights. However you must run each primary weight with the same amount of weight (inserts) in it as all the others, or yes, you will be out of balance and would get uneven pressure on the friction discs. And obviously you cannot remove the primary weights, otherwise you will be going nowhere fast.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication