Home Forums Tech Talk Slight wobble?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Troy V Smith 1 year ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Hey All – I came off the track from a run and while coming down pit lane, I noticed, what seemed to be a slight wobble?  Didn’t notice it at speed however.  When I got home, I mounted a dial indicator to the frame and set it above the axle.  When rotating the axle, I got a difference from high to low of .08mm.  I wouldn’t have thought that to even be enough to feel?  But is that enough of a difference to justify replacing the axle?

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

You are correct, the axle is fine, thats only 0.0032″ TIR which is very close to perfect.

William Martin
    Participant

Have you checked the wheel(s) for possible damage? If not the axle…that’s the next likely thing that may be bent.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Rubber pick up exiting track?

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Yea, I thought about the rubber right away, but there was nothing apparent on the tires.  I dug a little deeper and found that the right front wheel seemed to have just a very small bit of wobble to it (just enough to see while rotating).  So I pulled that wheel/tire off and put on another – still had a wobble – tried another – still a mild wobble, but better.  So I pulled the front hub and replaced with new hub – still had a wobble but not nearly as bad (hard to see).  Finally grabbed another wheel – and wobble was gone.

Looks like the front hub was tweaked, and was just amplified by an additional wheel slightly out of round.

OK, so after all this, I used the new hub on the spindle and I went through each and every one of my wheel/tire sets.  I have three full sets of wheels – of the 12 wheels (front and rear), looks like there are 9 which I can see a wobble with my eye!   Wheels are pretty old and have been through quite a bit of racing – probably three years worth – I am guessing we don’t want any noticeable “wobble” in the wheels and there is no real action to take other than get a couple new sets?  Trash em’?

William Martin
    Participant

Big rubber hammer?  hehe

bo rougeou
    Participant

Knowing some of that bunch you race with I’m surprised more wheels don’t ‘wobble’.

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Makin’ me chuckle Bo – even after dropping the cash on a couple new sets!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.