Home Forums General Karting Discussion SKUSA SpringNationals 2015 CBS Coverage

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  David Cole 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

David Cole
    Keymaster

Last night was the debut of Episode 1 for the SKUSA Fikse Wheels Pro Tour SpringNationals event from May 1-3 at the Phoenix Kart Racing Association. If you got a chance to tune in, tell us your review of the broadcast.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Ty Williams
    Participant

We thought the race coverage was even better than the Supernats. The ground camera was really cool. It really gave a cool effect of how fast the karts were going. The drone footage was great as well. I liked the new intro graphics. The only small thing was the results page. I think the top six drivers and the time gaps could be bigger. I know I am getting old but it was a little hard to read. Coverage was awesome and once again showing Joe Public how cool Karting is.

Ty Williams

Jay Sinon
    Participant

Thought the show was great. Great camera work and great announcing.  That being said I would have loved to see a hour long show with more races one of them being TaG Jr. especially since the show Kart Life has brought the juniors into our living rooms and we now know the names of these up and coming racers.

I also agree with Ty about the graphics, I thought they could have been bigger.

TaG Sr.

Rich Hays
    Participant

30 minutes is not nearly enought time to showcase all the classes! The three classes that got coverage I thought was pretty good… Interviews with top qualifiers before the race, interviews with winners after the race and nice podium shots. But …. what about the other classes of racers that raced just as hard and invested the same time and effort to attend the race ?

-rh

JT Miles
    Participant

My boys and I really enjoyed it..great camera work and announcing..the way karting should be promoted..

William Martin
    Participant

Nice work! A step up in quality, and nice to see some nationally recognizable names as sponsors/advertizers.

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

I appreciate reading the positive input and responses, for sure, because that’s the stuff that we’ll look to continue. As for constructive criticism and ideas, these are important as well. We took many of the ideas from the responses on the SuperNationals broadcasts into these new shows, and I think the improvement and evolution was very apparent.

As for being able to show more racing and more classes, that’s just not something we can get around without going to a 60-minute show, which can only happen with a much larger investment by SKUSA, or vastly increased sponsorship/commercial funding. That will be tough. That said, I’m being told that we’ll focus on different classes each day during the two SummerNationals broadcasts from New Castle, so the exposure will be spread among more of the drivers.

The primary key to me is that the effort continue into the future. SKUSA has put karting on TV and we need to support them so that this will continue. If they can make this a constant in their program, it will be a huge player in bringing our sport to the next level, both in terms of exposure and prestige and professionalism, and in educating the masses in regards to the viability of karting as a motorsports destination.

Rob Howden - eKartingNews.com Publisher / Editor - @RobHowden

Ty Williams
    Participant

Another awesome broadcast. I did like the podium shots on the Saturday broadcast. I know time is extremely short but it gets a few more drivers on TV.
    I also really liked the technical info that you gave on the first broadcast as well Rob. (ie G’s and speed) Maybe mention that the drivers are looking at there Mychrons (for example) checking temp, lap times, and pulling tape off the radiators while driving at those speeds. Again unbelievable broadcast loved everysecond of it. Those are just a few ideas after the fact only because your asking. Keep up the awesome work.

Ty Williams

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Thank you, Ty. I love getting any input, and I do like the idea of explaining to the viewers that the drivers are very in tune with their karts, and will use their on-board DA dash to watch the engine temps, and to adjust their racing lines based on their split times etc. I love it. I’ve made a note for the next broadcast.

Rob Howden - eKartingNews.com Publisher / Editor - @RobHowden

Jim Likens
    Participant

Rob,

Having produced videos for most of my adult life, taking all of the footage from all of the cameras and ending up with races that make sense is quite an accomplishment. Having been at the SuperNats and watch the crew work I wondered how they were going to sync all the footage. And then, for you to have to later capture the excitement that you bring to real-time announcing to a recording studio is really amazing. And, on a personal note, I thought the drone shots of Aaron flagging were great. He is currently half way around the world but I shot video of the TV and sent them to him.  Can’t wait for the next one and then the SuperNats. Congratulations and thanks to Tom and Patti, and you.

marc-andre hubert
    Participant

Half hour is tight, but like i mention on FB and you did mentioned it here, Sat focus on 3 class or so and sunday the other classes, nobody needs to see same class and driver 2 weeks in a row. Good job and changing format early on im sure it will help.

Chuck hurlbert
    Participant

Stream it online for the rest of us. Cbs sports is not worth $10/mth for a half our of karting. College football is another story. 🙂 hopefully itll be on then to watch.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Chuck, both episodes will be available online through Torque.TV and Motor Trend On Demand. All three of the SKUSA SuperNationals XVIII is available through their Motorsport section.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication