Home Forums Shifter Karts SKUSA pipe feedback

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Bany 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

andy-graham
    Participant

been looking at the new skusa pipe for my stock moto, wondering what kind of results its providing with the 99 style cylinder as opposed to the R4.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Lets just say at last weekends ProKart race all I saw on the grid were R4’s….

MikeGoebel
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that the Musgraves were using the SKUSA pipe.

S4……1st

S1……1st

Not sure which cylinder they were using but I’d bet it was the 2001

Mike G.

Howie Idelson
    Participant

+1 SKUSA Pipe.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

I thought the SKUSA pipe was required now days.

^ not until next year. Can still run the R-4 until end of this season.

Mark Tardif
    Participant

Anybody know anything about breakage?  My buddy and I purchased two SKUSA pipes when they first came out and both are already cracked in the bend??  Had an R-4 for two years with no problem, need a little help here.   MARK

Troy V Smith
    Participant

SKUSA pipe should be under warranty for 6mo. I believe.  Each should be engraved with a serial number, which should also be on your purchase receipt – might look at your warranty options from the seller?

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

Contact the company you bought the pipe from  They can tell where to ship the pipe to have it repaired. We had one break, shipped it in and they welded a steel plate over the crack.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Good thing SKUSA fixed that problem :)

CR

andy-graham
    Participant

uuuuhhh, nice warranty work….NOT!

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

At least it has a warranty……

CR

andy-graham
    Participant

Chris — as a fabricator, would you consider that type of repair “acceptable” if it was your pipe?  Just wondering….why wouldn’t they tig weld it instead?  I had a similar problem with my 95 CR125 back in the day….a hole blew open in my pipe during a moto, the bike only had a few hours on it at that time…my dealer called Honda on Tuesday (closed on Mondays), they told the dealer to collect the pipe and send it back to them.  Two weeks later I received the pipe back repaired…I was amazed at how they were able to weld it up without having to put a plate over it.  To this day ive never seen a weld job that impressive.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

I’ve worked in manufacturing plants for more years than I like to share, generally speaking,  if it’s cracked and you weld , it will crack in the same spot or near it.  Putting heat into it from welding, weakens the material, Jimmy didn’t elaborate, but I would have to guess they welded the crack shut, THEN put a patch of metal on top to strengthen the area…  That IS how I would do it for a customer…..

CR

andy-graham
    Participant

I’m not a fabricator or welder (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but Ive heard that drilling either side of the crack and then building and filling the crack with a tig welder is the proper way to fix this problem…I’ve seen several fixed this way and have not failed for a second time.  Maybe I’m hung up on the cosmetic appearance of a plate welded onto a pipe rather than an additional tig welded crack. …but hey, if it works, what the hell, right?

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Andy, that’s called “stop drill”, the first time I saw that was an aviation application where a crack in the plexiglass is drilled to keep the crack from propagating.  If it’s welded properly, it won’t propagate from that crack, ie, welded all the way through.  What will happen, is that it will crack near that area because the metal has been weakened from the welding heat.  You could also normalize the area after welding it, but that’s not a guaranty.

A repair for my own pipe I heat the area up with a torch to clean off the inside, let it cool down, run a back purge, set the heat a little hotter on the tig so the weld speed is faster, and zip it up quick….

Everybody has their way of doing things, a manufacturer, doesn’t want to see it come back again….

CR

andy-graham
    Participant

thanks for the lesson Chris, I understand all of that clearly and completely…and you’re right — the last thing a manufacturer wants is to have to fix a problem product more than once thats for sure.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

If it has a warranty I would think a cracked pipe would be completely replaced at no charge. At least that’s what my wife expects when returning defective items to the mall. She gets new pipe when she needs it!

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

wasnt thrilled with the plate but its better than nothing. from what I heard at the track last weekend, all pipes are going to have plates welded on them from the factory. Don’t know  for sure if that’s true, but that’s the story floating around the pits.

Btw, this new site hates my iPhone :(

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Andy, you’re welcome, hope that helps…

Hegar, why is it every time somebody talks about a crack pipe, you chime in? :)

Jimmy, I would be happy if they fixed the quote button/buttons!!!

CR

Howie Idelson
    Participant

I believe the pipe is now being shipped with a reinforced plate at the bend. Also some new mounting points.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

Pipes and kart racers, what’s new.

Josh Buttafoco
    Participant

photo A01CCAEE-A1C0-4EE8-AFC0-4F18CBA3D769-42570-0000162C734018A3_zps62ba4057.jpg

photo E69E934F-92D0-4ABD-8A17-C1C2EEB681F3-42570-0000162C6D9395B8_zpsffa704fd.jpg

photo 2F627E29-CCC1-419B-ABD5-85CB29F97E68-42570-0000162C77F988B7_zpsb5365dfe.jpg

Chris Bany
    Participant

Has the SK1 pipe proved to level, or even out, the ’99 vs ’01 cylinder discrepancy?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.