Home Forums General Karting Discussion Shifter lever travel-question?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ed hodgson 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ed hodgson
    Participant

Hello. I finished mounting my shifter lever on my chassis. It is mounted between my steering uprights. The tab that the linkage bolts to, passes underneath the right side upright.

When I have this tab pointing directly at the right side frame rail (90 deg. to it) I have about 1 1/4″ travel in either direction (forwards/backwards) before it contacts the upright or fuel tank.

Is this travel enough to allow proper gear shifts? I know the height of the J-arm will affect this also; wanted to ask on here.

Thanks again for any and all information!

Ed

Dave Holstein
    Participant

That sounds like more than enough travel, remember a shifter engine was originally designed To be shifted with a foot, it will vary slightly with different engines, and it’s a little different on up shift and down shift, but it should be ok with 1 1/4″ travel  at the shift linkage arm.

Ed hodgson
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

I’m pretty confident I’ll have the travel necessary to change gears, too.  First time building a shifter, I appreciate all the useful advice!

Thanks,

ed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.