Home Forums General Karting Discussion Setup question

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Kozakowski 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

michael hoffman
    Participant

Does anyone setup their kart on the floor? I have found that when I set it up on the stand and then set it on the floor, camber and toe change from my weight I guess from flex, I guess my question is, what is the best way to set up the kart. Just doesn’t make sense to me, any assistance appreciated.

Mike

Gary Lawson
    Participant

It is typical for oval racers to do all of their kart setup while on a level platform on kart scales. Most sprint racers do their setup on the stand. A.ll karts gain negative camber and toe in from frame flex. It is easily compensated for and it is not necessary to align the kart on the ground.

tony zambos
    Participant

Set the kart up on the stand. Then put it on a flat, level surface. Get a buddy roughly your own weight to sit in the kart and roll it back and forth. Measure the kart again. Now you’ll know about how much the kart changes from the stand to the ground. In the future, set the kart up on the stand and allow for the differences.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I always do my set ups under load.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

TJ Koyen

Once you know what the value change is for camber/toe when you set the kart on the ground, it’s easy to compensate for it on the stand.

My karts have always weighed like 230 pounds so picking up the kart and setting it down over and over is a literal pain.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

TJ, you should consider an electric stand.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

It’s nice to have everything sprung the right way when you tighten things down.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Do an initial comparison of the stand to the ground… then…

Do it on the stand.

In other words, just like Gary, Tony and TJ say.

When you’re driving, the load on the front end of the kart, even with the wheels pointed straight ahead, is always changing… under acceleration, under braking, riding over bumps, etc.  There is no such thing as a static load on the kart when you’re racing… so what does placing a static load on the kart, while on the ground really add to anything over putting a static load while on the stand?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Well, if there’s some slack and you tighten with the wheel hanging down then you could hit a bump on the track and knock the slack up the other way. If the wheels on the ground when you tighten things then you hit that same bump your set up is not going to move. Probably doesn’t matter too much in todays modern world, just a habit left over from the old days.

Gif

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Since the “set up” is all relative, what difference does it make?  If you’re fast at 5mm of toe on the stand, then you’re fast.  What difference does it make that this translates into, say, 6mm toe once you sit in the thing?  All of the numerical reference points ultimately are arbitrary anyway–we could make a millimeter a different base length, define a circle as containing 320 degrees instead of 360, etc.

I realize that “preload” is important when you’re trying to meet a factory spec, say for camber adjustment on a passenger car, when the spec assumes a loaded condition.  But we’re not trying to create a common reference point here–you just need to know the conditions that the “fast” adjustment points were set at, and then replicate them.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Exactly what Jim said.

There’s no right or wrong way to do it.  The key is being consistent with whatever method you choose so that you can reference back to what works and what doesn’t work.  Often times, the easiest way to maintain that consistency is to do it on the stand.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Seems like when you have a set of scales set up level in the pits everyone comes around and wants to use them though. How do you check if the front and rear axles are parallel on the stand?

Gif

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Keeping in mind that repeatability is what we are really looking for, here’s a potential problem with measuring alignment on the ground…  From:

http://kracer.com.au/blog/kart-setup-nitty-gritty/alignments-dynamic-or-static

<span style=”color: #2f2f2f; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15.6000003814697px; line-height: 23.3999996185303px;”>”Secondly – and I had done a lot of dynamic wheel alignments before I realised this – unless you let the tyres run out to their true resting position, you’re not actually doing a dynamic wheel alignment at all! Obviously, when you get in the kart on the ground, the chassis sags and the wheels get more negative camber. However, unless you roll the kart forwards at least a metre or two, the tyres stay loaded up and don’t let the stubs sag as far as they actually will on the track. Sitting in the kart will often see camber go 2-3mm towards negative. Rolling the kart forward a few metres will see another millimetre or two of negative camber gain! Bet your mate that told you “dynamic alignments are the best” didn’t know that!”</span>

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication