Home Forums General Karting Discussion Seat for a Fatty.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Koyen 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Alan Russell
    Participant

Sprint racing seat.  I’m looking for a seat for a fatty.

I’m 5′ 11″ and 250ish.  Yeah, I know..

Anyway, my measurements.

A = 17″ or 43cm

B = 21″ or 53cm

Measurements taken with rib protector (which I will have).

Per Tillett’s website, The T7 XXL is A=38cm B=41cm..  Too Small, right.

The TL XXXL (sponsored by Dunkin Donuts) is A=45.5cm B=48cm..  I think I can squeeze into this, but I’m not sure.

Anyone know of any other options?  Like an American company that makes big seats for big guys?

David Cole
    Keymaster

Check out http://deep-seat.com/ – American made and based in Wisconsin.

David Cole - eKartingNews.com Managing Editor -
    @DavidColeEKN

Alan Russell
    Participant

Check out http://deep-seat.com/ – American made and based in Wisconsin.

Thanks.  I looked at their site and it looks like (by the only measurement they provide) it might work, but no dealers within 200 miles of me.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Hi Alan,

I’m the owner of DeepSeat.  Personally, I weigh about #240 and I’m 5’8″ and use a size 18 DeepSeat.  People built like us are exactly who I build these seats for.  We ship all over the world, so I can get a seat to you pretty much anywhere.  You can reach me by phone at 877-777-8020 or email at tim@kartlift.com.

Thanks.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Alan Russell
    Participant

I ordered it Ken.  I hope its big enough…

BTW what paint should be used to paint the seating surface of it.  I’m afraid black and Florida aren’t a good combo.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Alan Russell.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I ordered it Ken. I hope its big enough… BTW what paint should be used to paint the seating surface of it. I’m afraid black and Florida aren’t a good combo.

Hmm…I’ve never heard of painting a seat before.  The seat surface is actually epoxy, so something that would stick to that.  You could just go with light colored tape?

Your seat went out today.  Try it on for size before you drill it please.

Thanks for the business!

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------

Alan Russell
    Participant

Hmm…I’ve never heard of painting a seat before. The seat surface is actually epoxy, so something that would stick to that.

If you don’t want to say publicly, can you email me the brand of resin you use?  I’m sure if I get the blush off I can paint it white with a boat deck paint.  If I leave a chrome wrench in the sun for 5 minutes where I live it gets soo hot you can’t touch it.

Matt Martin
    Participant

aren’t boats usually a polyester resin?  Epoxy is a phenolic resin.  either way most paints which say they can “work on plastics” are probably adequate – give a pass using 320-grit sand paper and a de-wax/de-grease.  Then you should be good to go!

Alan Russell
    Participant

aren’t boats usually a polyester resin? Epoxy is a phenolic resin

Good point.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You can paint it with 2 part Klass kote no problem (definitely don’t breath that stuff) but I would just get a cheap enamel rattle can from Walmart. Spray very light coats and let it dry about a week.

When you get the seat be aware you will probably have to trim the sides (wings) back maybe an inch. You turn sideways and snap into it like a 9 volt battery.

One problem with the deep seat is it has 2 flat spots left and right where your hip bones touch the sides so it holds you up and out of the bottom of the seat. I though about smashing the sides out with a hammer and re-gluing or layering cloth on the outside and grinding the flats more concave. Tillet is actually more bulbous on the sides of the bottom.

The other problem is the hump in the crotch area is too far back. it’s better than Tillet but still not far enough forward. Haven’t figured a fix for that yet but it’s frustrating when you’re trying to get your butt down as far as you can and the seat won’t let you.

While I’m on a roll, 3rd problem is the seat is ungodly stiff. I don’t know who is working the chop gun but they have a heavy finger. let me know when the special order deep seat lite comes out and please leave the black pigment out of the resin so the sun doesn’t cook us.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Walt Gifford.

Craig Diller
    Participant

Im 5’8″ 180 and I find that a ribtec or a deapseat is they way to go a tillett T-11 just doesnt have the depth to hold me in the seat properly.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Sorry, I just saw the updates to this thread.  Good feedback from all.  I’ll keep it all in mind.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication