Home Forums Road Racing Running an enduro kart without bodywork

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Wilhelm 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Tim Landon
    Participant

How much slower do you think I would be if I ran my enduro with no bodywork?  Like at Daytona maybe or Roebling Road.  Just curious.

Ian Krueger
    Participant

I’ve learned about over 75mph is where the body starts to work good. But i’m not totally sure that the rules allow for no bodywork.

I checked the WKA manual and it doesnt specify that body is required, it just specifies what the bodies max dimensions are.

Id maybe first call the WKA office and check to make sure its OK to run without a body. Id think you need atleast a plastic nose to deflect possible kart launches, but im not sure

NHKA member, yamaha pipe sr

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Ian Krueger.

Ian Krueger
    Participant

to answer your question, definitly slower but not that much. maybe 1 second at Roebling and maybe more like 2 sec slower at Daytona. Im not 100% sure at all ive never raced either of those tracks but i do know aerodynamics are pretty important atleast in road races.

NHKA member, yamaha pipe sr

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

At Daytona a few years ago I tried taking the sidepods off my F-125 laydown shifter during one practice session. I lost 21 mph off top end and my lap times were nearly 10 seconds slower. I had tried it many years ago (there used to be a 20lb weight break for no bodywork) on my piston port laydown at a tighter track (Hallett, Ok), and lost 3 seconds a lap. I’ve found aero comes into play at about 55-60mph.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication