Home Forums TaG Rotax vs. Leopard vs. X30

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Clark Gaynor Sr. 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ryan Ouellette
    Participant

I am currently running a Rotax senior setup.  I am thinking about going to another engine.  I am looking for some info on the Leopard MY09 and X30.  I run in a local club series.   I will be racing in another series as well which has classes for all the engines.

Is one better than another?  How many hours for rebuilds on Leopard and X30?  Pros and Cons?  Ease of tuning?  Overall performance?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks to all

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I’ve been looking at the same options — our local track has eliminated the Rotax official series, but FR125 allowed in TaG class…  My conclusion was ultimately to stick with KT-100 or LO206, but if I was going to with a TaG it was going to be the X30 because I’m guessing the Leopard will be slowly phased out, and the FR125 updates and spares prices were becoming absurd (IMO). I also prefer adjustable jets on track…

However, if I was doing Road Racing and lots of practice, the equation would swing toward the RMax because of its’ longevity and RR strengths.   Good luck with your decision.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Ryan, unfortunately the answer is it depends…

1. One engine may have a performance advantage at one track, while another may have an advantage elsewhere.

2. Rebuild schedules?  How hard to plan to push it?  The Rotax is lower revving, so it should be able to last a bit longer.

3. Costs of rebuilds?  Rotax has to go through a Rotax authorized dealer, and has to be sealed, so it’s more expensive.

4. Ease of tuning?  Really depends on how you define “ease”.  The Max is “easy” to get running, but in order to get maximum performance, you have to test to find what jet to run in what conditions, and constantly monitor air conditions.  The IAME’s are also easy to get running, but are adjustable on the fly – this can be good or bad.  The good is you can dial in your performance on the track.  The bad is you can go too far and possibly seize an engine from going too lean.

5. Other factors:

a) The IAME’s perform more like a “real” kart engine.  Most people find them more fun to drive.

b) Most importantly – who do you deal with (kart shop)?  Unless you’re dead set on one engine over the other, your best bet is probably to go with whatever product you can get support for.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Ted, just to clear up a point.  The Rotax is a fine motor, as is the X30.  I’d suspect the Rotax could go nearly twice as long between rebuilds, but as Rob stated is quite a bit more expensive.

You did mention road racing, in which case if you live on the East coast and run with the WKA / WKC the “Leopard” is far more popular!!!  We typically run 5 to 6 road race events per season, all being at least two day events with approx. 1.5 to 2 hours of run time per event.  We have the Leopards totally rebuilt every TWO seasons.  That will give you an idea of maintenance levels.  My Uneducated guess for the Rotax would be 3 to 4 seasons.

Also as Rob stated you can adjust on the fly with the Leopard or X30 and don’t need a weather station to calculate jetting as the Rotax requires.

Have a good day folks,

Clark Sr.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication