Home Forums Tech Talk Rotax mini evo upgraded motor bogs and dies. Help?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Christian Fox 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Josh Dutey
    Participant

So this is my situation, new to karting. We have 4 races under our belt. Ordered 2 mini evo kits, 1st race 1 kart runs perfect. 2nd kart runs perfect on the stand, went out for qualifying and only made it 50 yds bogged out and died. Ran perfect on stand again,, heat 1 finished. Heat 2 bogged and died 50 yards in, came back ran perfect on stand. Went out for main, 1/4 of a lap spun out then bogged and died. I’ve rechecked all connections, changed plug, motor is grounded as per instructions, I leave batteries on charger between heats and main. Cleaned the carb. Not sure what else to do. I’m a dad mechanic so these are new to me. We have no local shop. My rotax motor guy lives in another state. Kart ran perfect before upgrades. Anybody have some insight? Thank you

Samir Shah
    Participant

Check your spark plug. Is it way rich? Did you change to a much leaner jet? I am learning that the JR EVO jet is 115-125  vs 150-160 for the PREVO JR jet.

Josh Dutey
    Participant

Oops returned answer as email. <span style=”color: #000000; font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>I put in a new plug, the denso 29 something. 30$ plug which sucks in itself. And running a 125 jet. Both karts are set up exactly the same. One runs perfect and one doesn’t. The one thing that is constant is it always seems to only have problems when on the track under load. Which things would cause that under load? I was thinking a bad battery ( didn’t get a chance to test it yet ). Other than that I’m not sure. Jetting way to rich was my first thought having a dirt bike background but the other kart doesn’t have a problem. I did see a lot of posts of people having problems with wiring being defective.</span>

tony zambos
    Participant

Go thru the carb for any obvious issues like floats at the wrong height or one filling with fuel. Next try swapping batteries between karts and the carbs second.
    And call your engine guy.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Josh Dutey
    Participant

Im going to get some testing in wensday, try swapping some parts around, unfortunately we have 2 day race following weekend which only gives me 2 days to get parts if needed.  I’ve talked with my motor guy and he’s had no similar problems with any of his other evo upgrades.  How exactly would you know if one side was filling with fuel?

Vincent Ciolino
    Participant

Are you using the new throttle stop sleeve that they just started to include with the upgrade kits?  Also, make sure that you are using rubber mounts on both the ECU and Coil.  I did not have one on the coil and it shorted out, it actually melted and was replaced by warranty.  I noticed the new throttle sleeve resolved a lot of the carburetor issues.

tony zambos
    Participant

Josh,
    as a reference, download the article by John Savage on Rotax carbs. It’s pre-EVO. Go to http://www.karting1.co.uk/jetting-karting.htm and at the bottom of the page, click on Rotax Jetting Secrets. The floats are opaque so you’ll see fuel in the one that’s leaking. Use caution in putting the floats back in the carb, ALTO = UP.
    Non-EVO things to check:
    * fuel line that’s been pinched or kinked.
    * fuel & pulse lines firmly seated at all the connections.
    * Clogged fuel filter, either an external or internal to the carb.
    * With engine running on the stand, wiggle the wire harnesses & the plug wire.
    * Possible bad clutch.
    * The idle and air screws on the carb set the same on both carbs.
    * Nothing left inside the air box.
    Good Luck.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Josh Dutey
    Participant

I didn’t receive any throttle stop sleeves and my upgrades shipped from max speed on May 29th. When did they start including them? I do have both rubber mounted. Thanks for all the information guys!!

Christian Fox
    Participant

Josh, the throttle stop is for Micro only. You are fine there. Have you stripped and cleaned the carb? A tiny particle of dirt in the main jet will cause the exact problem you are having. The carb is so huge it’s very easy to work on. I would swap coils and ECUs between the motors just to check, although the electrical issues usually prevent the motor from starting in the first place. And try a different plug…you can order Densos from Amazon at great prices. Rotax motors nuke plugs…a plug that won’t start a Rotax will fire up another motor just fine. Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication