Home Forums General Karting Discussion Karting Newbie Chassis Choice

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rod Hawkins 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kevin Datuin
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m Kevin from San Diego and 28 years old. My past includes 2 years as track manager at a local indoor kart track where I spent much of my off time burning tires and gas, 6 years autocrossing and rallycross with many championship wins under my belt. I’m looking to move into wheel-to-wheel competition and a class with a large field of strong drivers. I’m pondering TAG or other single speed class.

Recently a kart was available to purchase through an old acquaintance. He tells me it was once a customers who didn’t settle his bill so it’s just taking up space. It was described as a Cosmic? from 2007, has a yamaha engine (I would replace with a TAG or rotax), and two autocross session at Qualcomm stadium. All for $1000! (seems too good to be true) I have yet to inspect the kart for wear otherwise I would try to post pictures. I haven’t been able to decipher what chassis are legal  in the class so I’m hesitant to give up my money for something I can’t use legally in which classes. Is there a limit to the age of the chassis?  Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Thanks,

Kevin

Walt Gifford
    Participant

What’s your budget? The thing about older karts is, parts for the brake system are hard or impossible to get so you might need to buy a new system. I would run the Yamaha first few times out in practice.

Gif

Kevin Datuin
    Participant

I don’t have the biggest budget. Probably around 6-7k. I plan on doing partial season at first to get my feet wet. But I want need to get back out on track and doing so with the lowest cost to entry would be nice. I would like the chassis to stay relevant for a couple years (up to 3 years) so maybe buying someones 1 season old or practice chassis would be easier and more affordable in the long run

-Kevin

Gary Lawson
    Participant

Your budget will be consumed far too quickly in tag. Either a briggs or Yamaha would be a much better value for experience and track time. Get in touch with a local track owner to see what is offered and ask what kart shop you can get in touch with.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Run the Kosmic/otk with Yamaha in F100 series in SoCal. Great racing and not too expensive.

Do a search for f100 series

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.