Home Forums General Karting Discussion Rotax by the numbers

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Daryle Redlin 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ed Portz
    Participant

We all know the Rotax/Maxspeed is on life support here are the numbers this year. I didn’t count FWT which was down also I believe,   because it bucks the trend every year,  do to foreign drivers.

US OPEN 2015 1st round total entries 151

US OPEN 2015 2nd round                      138

US OPEN 2016 1st round                        113

US OPEN 2016 2nd round  ?                    85?

This is what happens when you sell a flawed package and don’t listen to your customers.

Samir Shah
    Participant

So, where are the drivers going? WKA? ROK? Or is it that the kids are growing up and leaving once they become teens, and the entry level is not making it up?

Samir.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

So glad I sold my Rotax.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Ed Portz
    Participant

I have 2 drivers and have already raced and practiced(flying and paying tent fees) 3 Skusa races with 2-3x more drivers in class  and have saved over $9k by not racing rotax. Not once did we get beat by a faster motor. The Iame package so far has been solid in cadet and x30.

Mike Giles
    Participant

So I gotta ask….why post this?  Did you wake up today yearning to stick to Rotaxians and the folks behind it? There are a lot of good people/karters who work hard to provide the program at multiple levels and you come out of left field to post stats for no apparent reason…why?

tony zambos
    Participant

+1 for Mike’s comment

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Ed Portz
    Participant

+1 for Mike’s comment

simple,  I used to be a Rotax cheerleader helped recruit new dads at track, then when I finally saw what Rotax was all about, super poor quality,  constant updates, restricting a 125 to race micro and mini and jr doesn’t work, when you can buy 10 cylinders and 10 ignitions etc to make it go faster.  This has been the biggest parts racing series ever.  Thats why all the big money folks have gravitated to it, they can afford to spend what ever to develop a super fast engine in the restricted classes so their driver has a advantage, where most of the dads can’t.  I know and have raced with dads spending over $10k $15k $50k for motors.  its retarded.  Rotax never made a claiming rule back 3-4 years ago when all the dads where crying for it and guess what? They all bailed.  everyone is racing IAME and Rok now.  The people running Rotax where told 100’s of times all the issues and never did anything because they where making so much money selling parts they didn’t want it to stop.

This is a I told you so post.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Ed Portz.

Mike Giles
    Participant

Thanks for the history lesson bro. So I was right, you woke up wanting to twist the knife just for the sake of your beliefs.  This is EXACTLY what Karting needs right now.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Mike Giles.

tony zambos
    Participant

There are many racers out there that don’t have a budget as large as the amount you say you’ve saved. We road raced a (that’s one) Rotax for several years without any failures. It always fired up and finished every race. Maintenance by a good shop probably helped. Can’t see why you claim they are so poorly made. We choose a Rotax because it was level playing field. Only had to buy one motor. It was more driver skill rather than who spent the most bucks on an engine. Had some very good racing and isn’t this why we race?

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Darren McDonough
    Participant

I agree with Mike, this sounds like you’re just bashing for the sake of bashing.  You don’t like Rotax; great, don’t race it.  For us, Rotax has been great and the support we have gotten from Maxspeed and suppliers around the country has far exceeded our expectations.  We’ve run the Rotax now for 5 years entering 2 divisions per event at 10-15 events per year and have only had one motor related failure in that time (loose plug resulting in a stuck motor).  We do regular maintenance and have no issues.  Is wallet racing is present? Sure, as with any other division in karting.  But we choose to race within our budget and have really had a great time doing with the Rotax.  We’d love to try the X30 and for that fact the stock Honda shifters but in our area (Gulf Coast), we’d be all alone on the grid… and that just ain’t racing, right!?

Mike’s final comment is also spot on.  The last thing we need in our sport is this sophomoric “Chevy v Ford v Dodge” mentality.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Ed, your comments are spot on. I was in line to be a service center but the guy getting me in suddenly left town before I learned the secret hand shake. I was mad at first but now I want to thank him as I’ve read some ex-dealer stories.

If you like racing that package mid pack I think that’s great but the races I’ve seen didn’t look like a level playing field to me.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Walt Gifford.

Daryle Redlin
    Participant

Ed, I suggest you don’t try to go into any other form of ” spec” racing. If you think karting is messed up wait until you try to race something like ” spec miata”. Anytime you get a series that specs every last thing on an engine you will get the people that will spend the money to find all the little parts that are just a bit better, SO WHAT. That’s racing dude. If I can go to the track and figure something out with the engine and beat you I’m going to do it. If it costs me a bunch of money who cares, its my money. If you think that all the Iame engines and Rok engines are the same you need to take off your rose colored classes. Interestingly the engine builders that are fast in Rotax are also fast in the Iame classes, hmmm could it be that they know something about building engines that you don’t? There are hundreds of club racers out there with Rotax engines that are having a blast driving the engine. I have competed at the top level in rotax and leopard/rok/x30 etc and not once did we spend 15k on an engine. All two strokes require the correct skill set to tune and I’ve found many times that engines are simply not tuned correctly. Are there some engines that are better than others, sure, but that’s the same in every single class.

As far as your comments about Rotax changing the parts. Thats a laugh, Rok has changed the entire engine three times in the last few years, original Rok, RokTT, Rok GP. What about all the racers that now have those boat anchors. At least in Rotax you can still run engines that are over 5 years old. The same deal with Iame, original leopard, then digital ignition, then MY09, then Skusa bans all engines expect the X30. So who’s costing who more money?

Sorry for the rant back at you, I don’t know you but you are way off the mark man. You’ve had some issues, fair enough but there isn’t some big conspiracy trying to screw you over. From the people that I know operating the major series in the US and Canada they are all good people trying to do what they feel is right. None of them is getting rich, they all are putting up with tons of bullshit everyday from people like you complaining about everything.

If you think you can do it better, build your own engine, manufacturer thousands of them a year and ship them all around the world, then setup series all over the place, then manage the series and all the complaints and when you have it all running perfect let me know and I will come over and support you with it. Until then be part of the solution not part of the problem. Have a great day.

Daryle Redlin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication