Home Forums 250 Superkarts Rotax 258

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Harrison 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matthias Schümann
    Participant

Hi All

My Brother and me are thinking of taking up Karting again, we are located in northern europe, so we are looking at taking part in the Swedish series, and then maybe doing some european races.

We are not novices, I used to race in Icc 125 in the late eighties, with a rotax 128 and a Kali chassis, my brother did formula a with a tonykart/rotax, after that we progessed into formula ford, f3, and eventually touring cars, with my brother as a driver and me doing the engineering, as a family run team.

Eventually we had to  stop, family and lack of time and funds stopping further progress.

But now the kids have grown up, and the two old men are bored ;-)

Now my question comes, I have been offered an Anderson 08 chassis, with a Rotax/aprilia 258 , I can see the 258 has never been Cik aproved, but would it be usable under the same regulations as the yamaha tz engine.

And the next question would we be able to use the anderson chassis with a single cylinder engine, if the 258 route is a no go, or would this handling wise be a bad idea, well i don’t know what the differences are between single and twin chassis, if someone could enlighten me.

finally is there anything in particular i should know when looking at a anderson chassis, other than Poul , will be angry with me for not choosing a PVP, used to buy spares for my rotax 128 through him in the old days.

Best regards Matthias

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Matthias

If you buy and decide to sell your 258 drop me a pm or e-mail on: sales@viper-racinguk.co.uk

I could trade for a Honda CR250 single if required. I’m in the UK.

I wouldn’t have thought a 258 V-twin would sit very well on a Superkart. Be interested to see some pictures.

If your regulations require that an engine is CIK homologated then you wouldn’t be able to race the 258. For instance in the UK it wouldn’t be allowed. You should confirm this with your karting association.

I’m guessing that your 2008 chassis will be an Anderson Mirage (2-bearing axle). You can use this with a single, but it’s a little soft. Also there may be an issue with the curved tube coming back from the side rail being too close to the clutch case (CR250), although a Rotax 257 single will fit no problem. The Anderson Maverick (3-bearing axle) is better suited to a single. If this leaves you with doubts about your chassis, I can give you more detail. There is nothing particular to look out for but you should check that the chassis is flat and square and check around all the tube joints for cracking.

Here’s for an image of a bare Mirage Chassis

Mirage

Apart from the 3-bearing axle, the Maverick is easily identified by the chassis extensions that carry the bottom ball joint, on the Mirage they are tubular but on the Maverick they are a solid construction see image below of a Maverick.

Maverick

Best Regards

Ian :-)

Matthias Schümann
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answer Ian.

The reason why i asked about the 258 , is this section in the Cik  regulations, copy paste from Cik:
    7.2.2 Motorbike Grand Prix engines

Motorbike Grand Prix engines may be approved under the following conditions

they must have been designed before 2001.

As the 258 clearly is a motorcycle grand prix engine designed before 2001 ,but  i guess someone would have to do the paperwork for the engine to be entered into Cik events, but I don’t know if it would be worth the hassle.

We are still discussing the price but we are getting closer, I just don’t want to pay too much for an engine I can’t use.

Best regards Matthias

Now edited not easy to copy paste in this forum

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Matthias

You should e-mail the CIK and ask if it is possible, what paperwork you would have to complete and the cost. There are some regulations regarding having the manufacturers signature which if applicable would probably be impossible to get.

Like with the 256 tandem twin although that too was a grand prix engine from before 2001, the CIK withdrew it’s homologation last year, so that it can no longer be raced in CIK/FIA events like the European Superkart Championship. But in the UK we still allow the Rotax 256 in our National events.

As I said, I would be interested in the engine for use in a motorcycle.

No, the revised EKN forum is not so easy as the old version.

Best Regards

Ian :-)

Matthias Schümann
    Participant

Hello again

Now I found out a bit more about this Superkart, it is an Anderson Mirage fitted with kelgate brakes, and the engine is in fact a rotax 258.

The guy who used to own it, used it for trackdays, not very competitive the laptimes he showed me were about 20 seconds of a competitive pace, it was painted in red bull colors completely with all the stickers, to match his friends f1 ferrari red PVP.

The Kart is in need of some tlc, the chassis is straight, but some of the solutions and fittings on the Kart made me roll my eyes, more than once I must add. But this is reflected in the price.

It need’s new Cik spec bumpers, and a total teardown/rebuild, not a problem for me, I have rebuild all kinds of racing cars starting with a bare chassis.

My dilemma at the moment is I have been offered an absolutely mint Mirage, as a rolling chassis , completely updated to 2012 spec, with 5 star braking system, it only needs an engine to go, for about two thirds of the price i would have to pay for the other Kart, I have to decide what I do.

I have some pictures of the kart and engine mounting I just don’t know how to post them here.

Best regards Matthias

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Matthias

If you e-mail the pictures to me, I’ll post them up for you: sales@viper-racinguk.co.uk

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Guys

Here are Matthias’ pictures of the Rotax 258 motor. I still would like to buy the motor!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.