Home Forums Tech Talk Road to Sprint Conversion

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  marc ciannavei 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Alex Dills
    Participant

Hello I’m very new here and have a couple of questions.  My father used to race an elite frame with a KT100 and it was set up for road racing.  I have now gotten into the karting sport and am curious what I what need to do to convert this kart to a semi competitive sprint racer.  I have talked to a few people and they have suggested a wider rear axle (it currently has either a 37.5″ or a 38″).  What else should I do to make this kart usable for sprint races?

Thanks in advance, Alex

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Alex,

First off, please update your profile to use a first and last name per our Forum Guidelines.

Second, the kart may work, but will not be competitive. The chassis was manufactured to be used for road racing. What track or tracks do you plan to race at?

Alex Dills
    Participant

I’m a fairly tall person so the plan was to just widen the width to even out how long the chassis is.  I was planning to race with the NHKA at the new Hampshire speedway parking lot course.

Alex Dills
    Participant

Anyone?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

What is the wheel base?  If it was a sit up enduro with a wheel base of 43″ all you need is  the right clutch and gearing and a 50-55″ rear track. If it’s a lay down kart it’s not worth the conversion, you will have very little success on a sprint track.

Gif

Alex Dills
    Participant

I’m assuming its a sit up because a couple of mechanics suggested it would be okay if we put some work into it. it also has an old burco clutch. I think we are planning to put on a chain and sprockets as opposed to the belt that’s on it.

Rick Brown
    Participant

Hi Alex, I race with nhka. What class do you plan to race with? Theres only a few guys running 100cc at nhka and they all run older style road racing karts! That being said you might not need to do anything to be competitive with them? If your new to the sport and want to find a GREAT class that’s inexpensive and has a lot of karts check out world formula!

Alex Dills
    Participant

I’ll check it out, I think it will be easier to fix up the one I have though.

Thanks, Alex

Jim White
    Participant

The burco clutch is going to be the first thing to change. After that widen it up a little and go run it for a while. Figure out how to get the most out of what you have. Then if you are still enjoying ityou can look at spending the money to upgrade to something else.

Just have fun on the cheap and see if karting is for you!

Alex Dills
    Participant

By change the clutch what do you mean? Sorry I’m new at this :)

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You need to get a gear ratio about 8.5 to 1 which is a 10th on the engine and a 85 on the axle. Chain should be the 219 size. The clutch should be an engine mounted clutch but the size and type would depend on the exhaust system you have. Although an old Horstman DXL 4 spring 3 disk will work on anything. Is it a small 4 hole can or a big long pipe?

Gif

Alex Dills
    Participant

It is a big long pipe, I think it’s an expansion chamber?  Can we adjust the current clutch or put sprockets on it instead of buying a new one?  We’re trying to get it running for low cost.

Thanks, Alex

Rick Brown
    Participant

Alex

Bring the kart to the track. Get in it, drive it, and have fun! Not sure why you want too do anything to it at this point. If your going to runin 100cc 2 cycle there’s only a few people but those guys are great and they’ll help you out and get you up too speed!

marc ciannavei
    Participant

Hello Alex,

I was the welder /fabricator for Van at Elite karts. The biggest difference between an Elite III sprint and a sit up enduro sprint, is the wheelbase as mentioned at the beginning of the thread. It is somewhere around 2 ” longer. Depending on the build date, there may be some subtle differences in tubing thickness and gusset placement. The front end geometry and chassis layout is the same as an Elite III Sprint. Bolt on parts such as wheel offset, Front wheel brake spindles, axle length, motor mount offset, seat and body work are the differences. Try it the way it is as others have suggested. The chassis number is under the master cylinder. Was your father the original owner?

Good luck,

marc ciannavei

Alex Dills
    Participant

I believe he was the second owner and did most of his racing around 95′. the person who owned it before him called it “the barney kart” not sure iif you remember it.

marc ciannavei
    Participant

Hi Alex,

I ‘m not familiar with that name. I wasn’t going to the track during that period. It certainly is an old one. Have you measured the wheelbase to make sure it is a longer wheelbase sit up road racer? Back then many people ran regular sprint frames outfitted with the stuff to make them more of a roadracer than a true sprint.

Regular wheelbase sprint 40 to 41″

Road race/enduro sprint  42 to 43″

Either way, it should be a good start to get on the track.

marc

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.