Home Forums General Karting Discussion Review this Class Stucture please

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Clark 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Mike Clark
    Participant

Let me know what you think of the new class structure at our track. Is it lacking anything or is it good?

JR 1 7-11 250lb L206 Red (#555733)
    JR 2 12-15 300lb L206 Blue (#555734)
    SR 4 15+ 370lb L206 Stock slide (#555590)
    Rotax Micro Max 7-10 235lb
    Rotax Mini Max 9-12 265lb
    Rotax JR Max 13-16 320lb
    Rotax SR Max 15+ 364lb
    Rotax Masters Max 32+ 405lb 21+ must be 190 body weight
    Rotax DD2 15+ 382lb
    Rotax DD2 Masters 32+ 397lb
    Rotax GTMAX (New Arrive & Drive Karts)
    S2 Shifter 15+ 385lb
    S4 Shifter 30+ 405lb

John Robicheaux
    Participant

That line up sux Mike….there is no SuperSportsman Yamaha KT100 Senior or Masters Class!

I can say that since Mike and I were in the same class and they just cut it for 2014!

JR

David Cole
    Keymaster

Depends on the area of the country and the track. If those are the categories getting the most support and numbers, it looks great. I love the LO 206 categories, personally. It’s a great club engine package.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Mike Clark
    Participant

David,

Thanks for the reply.

My choice now is to not race, move up to Rotax or down to LO206. There is a pretty big jump between the two. I am leaning toward running what we have on practice days only or going to the LO206 and put in a ton of laps with races an option.

We just bought another chassis, 2 engines (KTs) all used and sent a KT off to be rebuilt. That is at least 4K we would not have spent if I had known the class was going away. My intent was to get some non partial critique of the class structure and not factor in a rug getting pulled out from under me. So now we have 3 karts and 4 engines that aren’t quite what we need going forward.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

First, if a club has a strong Board with a lack of self-interest, they need to ensure the class structure works for the market they’re serving.

Second, there is no “perfect” class structure that will make everyone happy.  You add lots of classes, and you end up with classes with 2-3 karts, and no track time.  You narrow it down too much, and someone ends up with obsolete equipment.

Realistically, I’d say that’s probably a pretty decent structure (maybe even a great structure).  But without knowing the market, maybe I’m totally wrong.

The only thing that stands out is ideally you’d combine some of those groups to keep track time to a maximum and/or to keep the day shorter.

Whether it’s Rotax or TAG, I’d say take your pick based on what the local market demands.  For example, I live in Canada where it’s really all Rotax in 2-strokes.  Although I’d rather go TAG to open up my choices a bit, it’s not all about me, so I run Rotax.

Again with the shifters, personally I’d open it up to RWYB rather than strict Stock Honda.  But, I certainly can’t fault a club for going S2/S4 given all the benefits of that structure, provided it fits the local needs.

I agree with David Cole that the LO206 is an awesome package – user-friendly, reliable, and cost effective, and with a few minor changes it can be used from the little guys all the way up to the seniors – it’s exactly what this sport needs.

The one other comment I’d make is that it never helps a club to turn anyone with a safe kart away.  If it were me, I’d have a true RWYB class for anyone else who wants to get on the track (like the KT’s).  Find a group to run them with, no trophies, no points, but don’t turn them away.  Get them on the track, show them you want them by giving them a place to run, then gently “encourage” them to consider moving into the “real” classes.

It appears you’re not ready for the jump to Rotax.  I know it kind of sucks, but If I were you, I’d post an ad for those KT’s on EKN and buy a LO206.  Even if you take a bit of a loss on the KT’s, the odds are very likely you’ll spend less in the long run with the LO206.  They’re cheap to buy, and very cheap to run – run it right out of the box, change oil, add gas, adjust valve lash, inexpensive clutches that don’t need lots of maintenance, etc.

Mike Clark
    Participant

Rob,

My brother is headed to Canada right now, not sure which part, but it is goose hunting related.

Thanks for the response. I probably should have gone LO206 in the first place. At least I have heard a lot of good things about the LO206 in the past couple of days. Lately a lot of Rotax here have been having shorter than expected service life so that is not attractive. Super Sportsman was billed as the way to go. I am disappointed in the way the removal of this class was handled. I am currently trying to get answers on if I can run in a class with no points or awards.

I know there is no perfect class structure. Even minimum weight is hard to please everybody. Cost vs performance vs reliability vs maintain is hard to balance.

The groups will run as follows:
    Group 1
    JR 1
    JR 2
    Micro Max

Group 2
    SR 4

Group 3
    Mini Max

Group 4
    JR Max
    SR Max
    Masters Max

Group 5
    DD2
    DD2 Masters
    S2
    S4

Group 6
    GTMax

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.