Home Forums Tech Talk Removing front hub bearings OTK?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  James Tiller 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

James Tiller
    Participant

Please can someone guide me through removing front hub bearings? How many bearings are there in an OTK mag hub? 2 or 3? If it’s 2 what is the much long we thing between them that spins?

Ive tried putting in the oven, using a hammer and a long hex but they will not budge. Is there anything else inside the hub that I could be damaging by hitting them?? Any photos/pictures/links/ advice very much appreciated.

tony zambos
    Participant

From Comet Kart Sales, https://cometkartsales.com/OTK-Front-Wheel-Hub/.

There’s two bearings and a sleeve between them.  Here’s a video from Compkart.  The issue with this video is he doesn’t show how he got the first bearing out.  http://kart360.com/features/pro-tip-front-bearing-assembly

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Walt Gifford
    Participant

How much did you heat them and how fast? If it’s too low and slow it gives the bearing time to heat and expand which doesn’t help. Pre heat oven to 350 and put it in for 15 minutes. You’ll need gloves to handle it and it cools off quick so set up everything before hand and work fast.

You have to move the inner spacer to the side to expose the inner race of the bearing, then use a drift punch to pound on the inner race. If the bearing tilts you need to move the spacer to the other side and pound it again to straighten it out. The hub has to be supported with something solid and you have to hit it hard sometimes depending on the fit. On some you can actually do it cold.

When you put the new bearings in DON’T FORGET THE SPACER LOL.

Hope that helps,
    Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

James Tiller
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks guys. I had seen that video but yeah it missed the 1st bearing and seemed to come out ridiculously easy compared to mine!</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I had not put it in oven for long enough, followed your tip of 15 minutes and came out easily! Thanks!</p>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication