Home Forums General Karting Discussion Remote tire temps?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Anyone tried these out on a kart yet?

http://www.drivenracing.com/embrace/mantis

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Why does everything in karting cost 300 something dollars.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

The challenge is that with only two sensing points all you’re likely to learn is how little you know about tire temperatures!

To answer many questions would require a bare minimum of four points and much preferably twelve (inner/center/outer for all four tires) with GPS data.

Don’t mean to discourage you but if you have the resources, go to a more complete data collection system with sensors (~$3,000.00).

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Oh, I’m not looking to do this…just curious if anyone had seen ’em and tried.  IMO, a DRACK for a kart is silly.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

patrick j slattery
    Participant

I would be happy just to be able to monitor my tire air pressure during the race.  Tire temps are great but a probe is the best way to get that and you can’t get to the tires quick enough after a race due to having to wait in line at the scales

Walt Gifford
    Participant

In my situation of high CG and over loaded tires it would tell me what I already know. My tires start off too cold then slowly over heat. If I reduce pressure they still over heat plus feel mushy. I just set my pressure from feel then put up with whatever temp that brings on any given day. Usually means I’m stuck to the track with snap over steer and a ton of caster dialed in. If karts were only 15% bigger.

I suppose you could move the sensors around over several track sessions or maybe just read the right front and rear.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication