Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 Rear Track Width

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kyle Chatham 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kyle Chatham
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m finishing putting together my first kart, an early 2000’s Energy kart a friend gave me and I’m having some issues with the rear track width.

The organization I will be racing in uses a 6″ rear tire and with the current hubs I have(65mm) I’m finding it difficult to get anywhere near the max 55″ rear track width. It’s even a stretch to get to 53″ as the 65mm hubs don’t have much contact on the axle and I’d be worried about them coming off.

My question is, what rear track width do most of you run and do you think there would be a significant disadvantage to running say a 50-51″ track? Should I get longer hubs? Rear axle is 40mm dia x 1040mm.

Any information is helpful.

Thanks,

Kyle

Bernie Lacotta
    Participant

The 1040 axle is pretty much the standard width. I use a 40mm rear axle, 1040 width, 80 mm hubs ( also use 50 mm hubs ) and have no problem going to the 55″ max.  We also run 6″ width rear tires BUT we mount them on 210/212 wide rims ( usually used for 7.10 wide tires). This wider rim gives a stiffer sidewall and tends to free up the kart. Very common to use this set-up on 4 cycles, both WF and LO206.

Chris Hatch
    Participant

A.  Use whatever hubs are needed to get to 55″.  In many situations, longer hubs will actually help free up the kart.  This goes against some of the traditional thinking.

B.  When using a 6″ wide tire, use an 8″ (212mm) wheel to keep the kart free.

Gary Lawson
    Participant

As most pointed out indirectly you can’t get the rear to 55″ because you have 180mm wheels for your 6″ tires. 53 1/2 is plenty wide for those wheels or go with the 210 and run 55

Kyle Chatham
    Participant

Thank for the info.

Would you suspect any significant performance difference (overall cornering ability) between a 53″ and 55″ track, or is the benefit being changing the balance of the car?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication