Home Forums General Karting Discussion Rear caliper rebuild

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  scoobysteve 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

John Starkweather
    Participant

I would have posted in tech but this seems more active.
    I’m trying to find the seals to rebuild my HAASE rear caliper. The kart is a 1999 HAASE Blizzard with a YZ125.
    I tried to get seals from acceleration karting but the seals they sent didnt match up. The only markings I can find on the caliper is that it is HAASE. The closest thing I can find to what I have is on the HAASE website

http://www.haase.it/catalogo_ricambi.php?ln=en&cat=13&categoria=REAR%20BRAKE%20CALIPER%20RUNNER%20FR08&dis=16.png

I this newer than what I have? Any suggestions on where to find seals for this caliper or do I need to upgrade to a newer more supported caliper? If so can someone point me in the right direction to replace the caliper.. I have found some calipers but not sure if they would fit on my chassis.

Scott Vielgut
    Participant

National Kart Supply will have the parts as they import the Haase brand. They can be reached at 877-89-HAASE. (877-894-2273)  They have been importing Haase for the last 12 years and have parts for the earlier models.

Two Cycle Technology is a dealer for Haase karts. They can be reached at 262-628-2438.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Typical problem in karting. By the time you need a rebuild you can’t get the seals. It would help if you measured the bore size. Looks like the old DAP seals from 1990. If your holes have lost their coating seals won’t help it much.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Measure the seal’s outside diameter, and decide which one is closest to you, then order from Fastech-racing.com

Most likely it will be either 19MM or 21MM, and those calipers were made by SKM for Hasse, if I’m not mistaken. Here’s a link. Good luck. Fast Freddy.  😉

http://www.fastech-racing.com/brake-seals/

John Starkweather
    Participant

“If your holes have lost their coating seals won’t help it much.”

Is the anodized coating suppose to be in the bore? Heres a pictures of the caliper after cleaning, there is some minor pitting. Let me know what you think.. What would be a good cost effective replacement caliper for this chassis and what all is involved in changing the caliper to a different one?

I will contact national kart supply tomorrow but I went out and measured 22mm which matches up to a seal on Fast tech. We did try some seals before and they wouldn’t fit well on the piston awhile back so Im trying to find out what we ordered last time.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

It’s hard to tell without running a finger along the bore, but those bores look pretty much shot to me.  I’d toss ’em, especially since it’s a shifter kart and not a slow poke.

I doubt the calipers are specific to Haase; they likely are generic from SKM or other outside manufacturer.  The Haase importer might be able to hook you up with a replacement.  If not, measure the mounting bolt spacing and try to find something else that will bolt on, maybe something generic by MCP.  The good news is that your disc diameter is probably standard and you can slide it along the axle, so if you can fit something to the mounting holes it should fit to the disc.  The only other issue will be whether the hydraulic lines fit (I had an old Top Kart from that era that used british standard pipe thread fittings-????).  If not, you might have to find adaptors or make new lines.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I don’t see the retract springs in any of the pics. How does it hold the pads in place? Yeah, looks like someone stripped the coating when it started to flake then it corroded. That’s major pitting in the bore and on the pistons too. Even if it doesn’t leak fluid it will suck air and need to be bled every track session. What’s the master cylinder look like? I’d at least replace the pivot pins on the lever.

Gif

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

John

Now that you posted pics of the caliper bore, I can see that those calipers are pretty much done.

Righetti Ridolfi makes some real nice ones, and are not too expensive

Try acceleration.com or Fastech-racing.com

Or ebay.

John Starkweather
    Participant

I measured the mounting holes for the rear brake caliper (85mm) and for the master cylinder(35mm). The master cylinder measurements matches up to what Fastech has posted but the caliper they have listed only has the specs of 10mm mounting holes which I’m assuming is the opening of the hole. Ive contacted Fastech but I probably won’t get a response until monday so I wanted to see if someone knew if this matched up.

http://www.fastech-racing.com/righetti-ridolfi-rear-caliper-brake-pads-included.html

Im not sure of the status of the master cylinders yet but I want to fix this rear caliper first and then go from there.

While I have yalls attention just a quick quick question about the new gas tank I just got.. Came with the option of having a vent or not, do I install one for this setup and if so do I just put it on top of the tank and loop the fuel line down?

And thanks for all of the quick responses this has been the best info I have found yet :).

William Martin
    Participant

85mm mounting hole spacing is pretty common for euro calipers. You should have no trouble finding that settup.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Walt Gifford
    Participant

That kart has a hanger that is very specific to the caliper.

John, I’m almost certain that one won’t fit unless you get a bracket to mount it on the bearing cassette. There is one available. Check Freddys links.

Gif

Michael Valiante
    Participant

Hi John,

If you haven’t had any luck finding them yet we have various types in stock

here http://www.italianmotorsusa.com/collections/brake-hardware-and-seals?page=1

and specifically for yours http://www.italianmotorsusa.com/collections/brake-hardware-and-seals/products/rear-caliper-repair-kit

here

Thx,

Michael

Jim Derrig
    Participant

I think 35mm is real standard for master’s, so you shouldn’t have trouble finding a replacement.  Try to find one with a reservoir, as this will make your system partially self adjusting.

As for the rear caliper, there is another option beside trying to find another caliper that bolts to the frame.  Current rear caliper design is to bolt it to the axle bearing cassette instead.  Among other things, this lets you adjust axle height easily, as the caliper moves up and down with the axle.

So, you could buy a new, current cassette, a caliper adaptor and the corresponding caliper.  This also would allow you to run a current, self-adjusting rear caliper.  See:

http://www.italianmotorsusa.com/collections/calipers-1/products/italkart-brake-caliper-support

One possible problem:  That old kart runs a 40mm axle and you’d have to change over to a 50mm?  Since it’s a 1999 kart with a YZ, I assume its for funzies and recreation and not serious competition, so this solution might cost more than you want to spend.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

John here is the bracket you want for the RR caliper, no need to go to a 50mm axle and it’s cheaper.

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/righettirearcalipersupports.aspx

Gif

John Starkweather
    Participant

“Since it’s a 1999 kart with a YZ, I assume its for funzies and recreation and not serious competition”

I’m new to karting and I hope this is going to be a candidate to get started racing. I know its not up to date but is there anything that would prevent me from racing with it? I know rules are probably different depending on area and class but is there anything I need to know as far as compatibility?

“John here is the bracket you want for the RR caliper, no need to go to a 50mm axle and it’s cheaper.

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/righettirearcalipersupports.aspx

I saw those and the measurements don’t match up to the 85mm measurement I came up with, am I missing something?

Right now I’m leaning towards the ebay caliper (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251992649509?item=251992649509&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr) because the guy told me its 84mm mounting and I’m assuming is the same as the 85mm I have. The only problem is it looks a little ‘chinese’ to me. Is there a reason I shouldn’t order that caliper?

William Martin
    Participant

John,

That MBA caliper is pretty good quality. I had one of those on an MBA chassis at one time. It’s not Chinese… 🙂

Bill

Britt Robinson
    Participant

“I’m new to karting and I hope this is going to be a candidate to get started racing. I know its not up to date but is there anything that would prevent me from racing with it?”

Once you get your brakes fixed there’s no reason you couldn’t find a track and go racing. I’ve been fairly competitive in a ’98 Trackmagic w/modified Honda for the past 3 1/2 seasons. Sometimes 2nd, sometimes 8th. But that’s usually the driver’s fault…

'13 Velox SK1 - CR125 -
    4th place finisher on a good day @ Tri-City Kart Club, Richland, WA

Jim Derrig
    Participant

“I’m new to karting and I hope this is going to be a candidate to get started racing. I know its not up to date but is there anything that would prevent me from racing with it?”

The short answer is “no, but don’t set your expectations too high.”

The link below is to a pre-race tech sheet.  Make sure you can check off all of the boxes.

I assume you just want to race at your local track right now and don’t have illusions about jumping straight into a national or even regional racing series.  Your local track probably will require you to have a full-width rear bumper, which most definitely didn’t come standard in 1998.  Also, your local track may or may not have a class for a modified shifter (sometimes called “formula 125”) as that class is not the flavor-of-the-month and you might be the only entry.  My experience is that if you show up with entry money they will not turn you away, though you might not qualify for points in whatever racing series they run.  If you’re just looking for seat time, you shouldn’t care (this is part of what I meant by “funzies” and not competition–you’re not in this for a trophy, at least not yet).

The YZ has not been the engine of choice, but I understand it can be very competitive when properly built and operated.  Main problem will be lack of parts and experienced help from others at the track when things go wrong (and they will).

If your prior racing and 2-stroke experience is at or near zero, you definitely are teaching yourself to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool.  I followed a very similar path and there were a couple of times I almost quit out of frustration, but I stuck it out and am happy I did.

Tech form:   http://simaracing.com/sites/default/files/pre-tech-certification-sheet.pdf

John Starkweather
    Participant

Thanks for the info Jim your right on point with where I am at :). I ordered the MBA caliper from ebay yesterday and they confirmed the 85mm bolt spacing. Thanks for all the help everyone!

John Starkweather
    Participant

Rear brakes turned out great thanks for the help. Of course we sprung another leak on one of the front calipers. Looking to go the same route and replace the front calipers with something inexpensive like we did with the rear. I measured 35mm bolt spacing but I measured them on the kart and it might be a little off. I did a search but couldn’t find something as good and cheap as the MBA rear caliper setup. 

scoobysteve
    Participant

Im trying to locate master cylinder seals for Haase fr08 brakes and have called and emailed both National Kart and Two Cycle Tech with no response. Is there some kind of kart convention or seasonal shop shut down that would explain this? Ive tried the generic replacement route online but cant seem to find the same dimensions as what I have.

Michael Valiante
    Participant

Hi Steve,

If you haven’t had any luck finding them yet we have various types in stock

here http://www.italianmotorsusa.com/collections/brake-hardware-and-seals?page=1

and specifically for yours http://www.italianmotorsusa.com/collections/brake-hardware-and-seals/products/rear-caliper-repair-kit

Thx,

Michael

Brian Mead
    Participant

John, in looking at the photo you supplied, you may want to go over the wields on the kart, the seat support strut looks as though its cracked.
    Brian

William Martin
    Participant

John, in looking at the photo you supplied, you may want to go over the wields on the kart, the seat support strut looks as though its cracked. Brian

Great observation, it very much needs re-welding. Have had a few of those myself, since I keep these silly things “forever”.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication