Home Forums Tech Talk Rear bumper mounting system

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brad Richtsmeier 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Brad Richtsmeier
    Participant

I have a  2010 CRG Road Rebel chassis.  When mounting a rear bumper the other day, one of the long bolts that turns into the chassis tubing won’t tighten.  It turns all the way in, but does not torque down tight.  It seats fully, but keeps spinning when turned.  The bolt doesn’t look to have any problems itself, so it must be the receiving piece inside the chassis.  I cannot see this piece and I have not had any luck removing it.  Does anybody know a method for removal of this piece or have any advice?  Thanks.

Stu Hayner
    Participant

Brad,

Where are you located? If in SoCal, bring the kart by the shop and we will get you handled. No charge at all. We are glad to help.

If somewhere else, give me a call and I’ll try to help you over the phone.

Stu
    714 305-612three – cell

MDG karting
    Orange,Ca

Brad Richtsmeier
    Participant

I’m in Des Moines, Iowa.  I’ll give you a call today.  Thank you.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Pull the rubber piece out of the frame and fish out the nut that fell off.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Your bolt is too short

This is very common when installing a new bracket for the new bumper style

You need to buy 2 new longer bolts of the same kind and go into town with it again

Unless otherwise as stated by Walt, there is a big possibility that the nut inside the mount fell off, and you will need to remove the rubber mount to get to it.

Easiest way to find out is to remove the bracket, and install the bolt by itself, and see if it starts going, and far enough to tighten up. If it does then determine the length needed to finalize the job, including the space needed for your bracket. Merry Christmas

Fast Freddy.

Brad Richtsmeier
    Participant

The bolt will not tighten with everything removed, so I believe the mount is the problem.  I don’t know a good way to remove it from inside the chassis tubing.  Any methods or advice would be welcome.

David McDowell
    Participant

I get the wife’s crochet needle.

Dale Daugherty
    Participant

What about something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-8-in-x-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Mushroom-Head-Toggle-Bolt-Anchors-10242/100349321?N=5yc1vZc2eq

Maybe not this item specifically, but if you could get the toggle through the rubber mount inside there, and then stop the screw against the end of the chassis tube (with a washer or something), then as you tighten the screw, it should pull it out. Or just grab the screw with a pair of vice grips and yank like crazy. If you had a way to attach a slide hammer, that would be even better. If you could use a needle or something to get some lube between the chassis tube and the rubber mount, that may help. PB Blaster also may penetrate around the sides and loosen everything up. Can you bore it out with increasing drill bit sizes?

I’m just throwing suggestions out there to get the wheels turning. It’s rubber, and you can defeat it with willpower and cunning.

Brad Richtsmeier
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas.  All that helps me understand the internals and what needs to happen.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.