Home Forums Shifter Karts ? re: Remounting exhaust pipe.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Sheidler 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

My pipe cracked and I sent it back to RLV and they sent it back with the cracked portion removed and a new patch welded in.

This will be my first time mounting/connecting a pipe to my kart/stock Honda. What all do you guys do before you re-mount it? I did not see and exhaust gasket when I removed it, just all the springs and nuts, and what not.

Please advise, and thank you all as I am very appreciative for your time in helping me with this.

~Andy

Dale Daugherty
    Participant

Nobody has replied yet so I’ll bite:

I am fairly new to stock Honda, but I’ll hazard a guess that you have a 3 or four ring manifold. When you look at the cylindrical manifold sticking out of the engine, it should have grooves machined into it. These are grooves for o-rings, and you can find them fairly quickly through any of the usual kart parts warehouses online (SharkShifter, Fastech, Acceleration, etc…). They can be had for $1.00 or less each, or bulk packs for around $15-ish. Pay attention to what you are getting, as there is also an o-ring that is sandwiched between the manifold and the cylinder, and I believe it is a different size. At quick glance they look almost identical.

These are consumable of course, and you will want to replace them fairly often. The local kart shop here usually adds a bead of high temp RTV silicone (the orange stuff) around the o rings before slipping the exhaust over it. The seal is much improved this way, and it minimizes the gunk that can and will blow out of that slip fit joint. The downside is you will need to clean it off the manifold and pipe whenever you remove it/re-install.

Other than that it is straightforward. O-rings, sealer if you prefer, slip the pipe on and rest in in the cradle mount, put the springs back on, and tighten the clamps around the cradle and pipe.

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Dale, thank you for taking the time to respond as well as all the information. Pipe is back on after I got a new exhaust manifold.

~Andy

Alan Sheidler
    Participant

Of note is that whether you use RTV type silicone or not, some type of material which acts as a lube during installation of the pipe should be part of the assembly.  I have used a silicon lubricant in a tube, bought from NAPA, when not using the high-temp RTV.  Important is that the ring grooves should be thoroughly cleaned every time the o-rings are replaced.  And, the inside of the pipe which slips over the flange should be very smooth.  I use “Scotchbrite” there.

The point is that the o-rings should be tightly compressed between the flange and the pipe.  The pipe should not just slip on easily, there has to be a snug fit, otherwise it will leak quickly, whether RTV is used or not.  The danger comes in not putting the pipe on squarely during installation.  An o-ring which slips partially out of a groove will be cut through, and fail to perform the function for which it was installed in the first place.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.