--> Re-powder coating – engine stop mount question – eKartingNews

Home Forums Tech Talk Re-powder coating – engine stop mount question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Eric Alexander
    Participant

I’m prepping a 2008 CRG Kalifornia frame to be powder coated.

I’ve got a question about the engine stop block mount.  I’ve removed the mount and stop bolt, the there are still two threaded sleeves in the frame holes.  The frame has four distinct height positions for the mount, so it appears these sleeves should be removable to change position.  But I can’t seem to get them out.

Any advice here before I break out the hammer?

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Pictures please!

Most of the time you can get away by using masking tape in all holes before you send out your chassis.

But it would really make it a lot easier if you could post pictures of your stuff, to be able to help and advice you better.

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Here’s some pictures to underline what I’m asking about.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Eric

Those look like inserts/timeserts

They’re usually pressed in, as you can see most likely they were pressed in at the factory, at the desired hight.

I would totally cover the holes with masking tape, or find 2 bolts of the same pitch, screw them in, or better yet find a bolt with a wide head that will match the flat side of the thread flush, screw it in, tape the end that will stick out the other side and remove them when powder coating is finished, cut and trim with a brazor blade some of the burr, left over paint so that it won’t chip away, not to mention it will look neat.

Hope that helps.

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Great to know. Thanks!

Troy V Smith
    Participant

I just had a frame done with the same fittings. The powder coater used rubber plugs through those threads to protect them from the powder – very much like plumbers plugs. Don’t forget to cover and/or plug the internal face for your steering column uni-ball bearing and c-clip groove.

We may not be the fastest on the track...but we're having the most fun!
    https://www.facebook.com/wearekarters

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Absolutely!  Thanks Troy.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Those don’t come out.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.