Home Forums Shifter Karts "Race Gas"

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Reinhardt 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jeff Clarke
    Participant

Came across this site the other day while looking for local race gas suppliers…

http://www.race-gas.com/

Anybody using this pump gas additive in lieu of race gas?

Jeff

James McMahon
    Participant

What kind of motor do you have?

Haven’t used it and wouldn’t advise it for a kart having read their site. “Real” race gas is about consistency of batches and performance additives. Octane numbers for race gas vary depending on the application its intended for. A higher octane number doesnt make it a race fuel. VP have many 87MON racing fuels for example.

Bottom line is that, at least with a carb’d engine and especially with a stroke putting out semi-decent HP, I’d very hesitant to use that stuff because you are blending it with pump gas which is a mixed bag in terms of composition and specific gravity. What works one day may not work the next.
    If you have EFI with O2 sensors and so on, you can get away with that, but I would still say it’s sub optimal.

Last thing to consider is the presence of lead, which while not healthy for your or me, is great for the internals of a two stroke.

James McMahon
    Participant

After second read of the site (look like they are based up my way in MN too)….
    You also need to consider what you plan using it for, racing or just testing. It might not pass tech for most kart races, any oxygenates tend to make the digatron go nuts. I could be wrong but, afterall they do mention karting on their site but motors in karting start at 40BHPp/L and go to as much as 350! Thats a big range in specific output. Kart motors also tend to see very high rpms which combined with small bores generally require faster burn times and lower octanes.

Jeff Clarke
    Participant

Thanks for the input James. I have a stock CR125 running F125 autox primarily.  Generally there is not a supply of race gas avbl at these event, hence the attraction of this stuff for convenience.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James McMahon wrote:</div>

Thanks for the input James. I have a stock CR125 running F125 autox primarily. Generally there is not a supply of race gas avbl at these event, hence the attraction of this stuff for convenience.

You would have to find out first off if it will pass your tech. Generally speaking, if they have a fuel tech at these events any oxygenated fuel will not pass including 93 octane pump fuel. That additive also contains an oxygenate, a big no no for any org. If all that is cool, (not likely) then it will be a try and see what happens kinda deal. Test it for a couple of runs, pull the plug and check for deto, pull the head and do a piston check….

NO MATTER WTF I DO, THE QUOTE BUTTON DOESN’T WORK CORRECTLY!!!!!!

andy-graham
    Participant

I found a fuel that I’m interested in trying, and it seems reasonably priced.  Renegade Race Fuels P95  is a 95 octane, non oxy non eth blend for powersport applications, I believe its leaded also, but not positive.  THey have a large distributor in SC, but shipping gas is expensive…trying to find someone closer in FL, I’d like to try this stuff out.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Instead of driving yourself crazy (pun intended) call up VP and find out where the nearest dealer is and be done with it.  VP C12 or similar will answer all your problems…

VP-Southeast

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Phone: 954-565-7670
    Fax: 954-565-7696

CR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.