Home Forums Tech Talk Quick Connect on RPM lead

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Alexander 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Has anyone tried slicing in a quick-connect coupler into an RPM data wire?  I’ve been thinking about it so I can qucikly disconnect the lead during engine removal and leave the winding on the spark wire.  If anyone’s done this, what type of connector did you go with?

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

I’ve done this with my hour meter, for the same reason you’re thinking of doing it to the data collection pick up.  Good idea to do it with the data collection wire as well…

I used an insulated pair of 1/4″ spade connectors, crimped on the pick up wire.

Evan Fraser
    Participant

I’m stealing this idea.

Thanks Eric.

Eric Alexander
    Participant

After some research, I’m going to try a bullet-style crimp connector.  I believe this will be secure and supply a good dry connection at all times.

Bullet connectors

I’ll keep this thread posted on my progress.

David
    Participant

This is how I do it also.

FYI the “RC car” bullet connectors are generally of a far superior quality fit and finish, and you can get them in almost any size and configuration to suit the need.

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Hey Guys – am I missing something, or maybe I’m not on the right track, but you are aware of the simple AIM rpm clip? You just loop your rpm pickup wire through and clip it to the plug wire? You can clip and unclip it freely – no need to wrap the wire anymore.

AIM rpm clip

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Troy, I wish it was that easy!  That clip’s instructions say that you thread the wire through one hole, then wrap the wire around the plug wire three times.  Finally, you thread the end back underneath the three wraps and through the second hole.  That’s the clip I use, and to do it neatly and tight takes a few minutes.  Those are the minutes (and pain in the keaster) I’m looking to save with the disconnect.  Also, the disconnect will allow me to have a spare ignition module/plug wire pre-wired with the RPM clip data line.

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Wow – That is news to me. Guess I’m glad I never had or read instructions for it’s use! I have always just clipped them onto the plug wire, never wrapped, tucked or twisted anything. Seems odd you’d have to go through such a configuration when the same simple “Loop” is sufficient right on the mychron end? But anyway, I’ve used the clip alone on the CR125 as well as the Leopard and seems to be accurate. I will compare data from the clip versus a proper “wrap” at my next outting though!

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Yeah, its good to know a simple loop through the clip works as well. ;-)

Chris Gannon
    Participant

Troy, I wish it was that easy! That clip’s instructions say that you thread the wire through one hole, then wrap the wire around the plug wire three times. Finally, you thread the end back underneath the three wraps and through the second hole. That’s the clip I use, and to do it neatly and tight takes a few minutes. Those are the minutes (and pain in the keaster) I’m looking to save with the disconnect. Also, the disconnect will allow me to have a spare ignition module/plug wire pre-wired with the RPM clip data line.

When I read the instructions, you only need to wrap the wire around the ignition wire in 4 stroke applications.

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Thanks Chris.  Good info.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.