Home Forums Tech Talk Question Re: VEN05 brakes; position of pad on rotor

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Buffo 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Momo Stalion
    Participant

Hello all.  Getting to know my used CRG Dark Rider DD2 kart better, doing front brakes.  It looks like the ven05 caliper sits too high/far away from hub.

The brake pad extends ~1/4″ ouside the edges of the rotor.  The pad is off the center part of the rotor by ~1/4″.

Is this intentional design or could this spindle potentially be wrong (used kart, wrong part issue?)

Can anyone with a CRG/VEN05 front setup verify?

Pictures:

James O’Brien
    Participant

Discs should be using the full width of the pad.

Visit our Online Parts Store www.eshifterkart.com
    or
    www.facebook.com/eshifterkart

Momo Stalion
    Participant

Thanks for the reply James.  Do you think the spindles could be wrong?  Only thing I can think of since the caliper mounting points only allow the caliper to sit at that one position.

James O’Brien
    Participant

Momo the rotors do not look at all like factory. The Ven05 is normally a heavily vented rotor with ridges. The only aftermarket brand I’ve found that works well with Ven05 is Frixa, which would be a smooth, round rotor. Much like what you have there, although the size does not look correct. You may also have the wrong spindles as indicated.

Visit our Online Parts Store www.eshifterkart.com
    or
    www.facebook.com/eshifterkart

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  James O'Brien.

Momo Stalion
    Participant

Thanks again for the reply James. I didn’t post it to keep the post length down but those are brand new Frixa rotors and pads. That was the brake work I did along with rebuild on calipers and rotor floating pins.

I compared them to the stock CRG rotors and pads and they are the same physical diameter.

Came back out to the kart track and taking some measurements right now. Comparing to another crg they have here in storage.

Momo Stalion
    Participant

Just an update, looks like the spindle was an incorrect model installed on my kart.  Took measurements against a different CRG kart, size is 5mm closer.

What was installed on my kart is likely for a VEN04 as the mount is further out, a new set of spindles for ven05 brakes on the way.

Keith Buffo
    Participant

When mounting the rotors to your new spindles, be sure to install the conical washers with the outside edges touching the rotor for the correct amount of “float.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication