Home Forums Tech Talk Question on axle bearing supports?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Reinhardt 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chris Beebe
    Participant

Well, I just managed to snap a bearing support on my shifter kart! Sure wish there was a manual on the process because it took little to no pressure to snap the support for my axle bearing!  What is the process for this? Three main bolts first and then tighten the pinch bolt? I figured pinch bolt first but that did not seem to work well for me!

Now I need to source a support for my 98 birel 40mm axle! It has three mounting bolts to the frame. Are these supports usually a universal bolt pattern or is this kart specific? Need help soon being I need this back up and running for the next race!    Help!!!!!!! :(

Steve Libretto
    Participant

Chris, what exactly did you snap? Is it the cassette, or the bearing hanger on the frame? And where did you snap it? Take a picture and post it so we can offer suggestions on repair.

Steve

Walt Gifford
    Participant

It sounds like you over tightened the pinch bolt and cracked the aluminum cassette? You only want to snug those but use some loctite so they don’t back out (unless it’s a bolt and nyloc nut).  Put everything together loose,  slide the axle through, snug the pinch bolt then tighten the three cassette bolts to the frame hanger.

Don’t feel bad some of these kart components are poorly designed and made of crap metal. Yes, the bolt pattern is generally universal but be careful what you’re buying. The best stuff is made from 7075-T6 but some are made from easy cutting screw machine stock.

Gif

Chris Beebe
    Participant

Walt, you are correct! Just starting to tighten up the pinch bolt and SNAP the cassette  broke clean off, right where one of the mounting bolts was located!

Time to make some calls in the morning to see what replacements are easily sourced!

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

The part you are referring to is called the cassette.  What I usually do with the adjustable ones is take them in my hand with the bearing and snug them.  You basically want all the play out, but you should be able to rotate the bearing about the cassette freely, but snug.  Too tight and the kart will hop through the corner loading and unloading with a jerking motion…

BTW I would either replace both outside cassettes with new ones, or just replace the one and put it in the middle position….

CR

Chris Beebe
    Participant

Thanks for the info Chris.

I did manage to find some that will work I think. We shall find out when they show up in the mail. Being you cant find any oem, and clearly they are weak, I just picked up three new cassettes and hopefully wont run into this issue again!

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

MRP is the importer for Birel, I’m sure you could get OEM from them.  The OEM’s really aren’t fragile, they might be Magnesium, but I have seen them run without issues…  The OEM would probably be 2x the price of what you sourced in a Righetti or Wildkart part..

You’re on the right track, good luck…

CR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.