Home Forums Shifter Karts Question about switching back to DOT 5 Fluid from DOT 4

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Martin 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Adam Gorrell

Hows it going everyone? So last year was my first year of racing. I have 4 Karts (2 OTK Stock Moto Shifters and 2 Rotax Max Senior (1 OTK and 1 Intrepid)) and had used DOT 4 Fluid for the brakes since it was recommended to me last year. Well this Past Saturday at my Night race I was told DOT 5 was supposed to be used in the OTK Karts. Both shifters that night I noticed the fronts were binding up after coming off the track and would slowly release after being turned a while or cooled off. The rear was fine and never bound up on either.

Well Now I am wanting to switch them back to DOT 5 Brake Fluid since its supposed to be used. My question is, how should I go about switching them back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Matt Martin

if the brakes are binding, i’d check the bore of the master cylinders, and bore of the brake calipers – make sure they’re not terribly scored up.

I would also call the manufacturer/distributor for the parts you have, and see what they say to run.

Remember DOT5.1 =/= DOT5.

DOT5.1 and DOT4 are gylcol-based fluids.

DOT5 is Silicone.

What that means is that you usually don’t find rubber seals compatible with both – it’s one or the other.

EDIT: it seems OTK uses DOT5 (silicone-based fluids).

My intrepid with Righetti Ridolfi Master cylinders runs DOT4 or gylcol-based fluids.

If you ran the wrong fluids, you’ll need to replace all the seals in the brake system – both master cylinders, and front and rear calipers.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Matt Martin.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication