Home Forums General Karting Discussion Question about 2 stroke engine, excessive oil from pipe

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TJ Koyen 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I have a couple IAME KPV motors. Both only have a few races on them. One of them I have notices spews oil all over the place. It is slightly better when driving hard, but I had a buddy drive it and he was learning and it was really bad. But it is still much worse than my other motor or any motors my brother uses as well.

Something else I notice is that when I first go out and the motor is cold, it takes several seconds to actually build the RPMs and start to feel the motor pull. After a couple laps, it seems like it is fine (besides the excess oil) but EVERYTIME I just start out on the track, it takes a while to get the power, almost like it is flooded or something?

Sorry if this is the wrong catagory, but there isn’t a KPV section, and I would imagine that most 2 strokes have similar problems and characteristics.

tony zambos
    Participant

Rod,
    The bottom line is that motor probaby needs to go into a shop. A worn ring, piston, cylinder or all of the above. Assuming you have the same type plug in each engine. You try a new plug, properly gapped, and see if that helps.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Rod,
    The bottom line is that motor probaby needs to go into a shop. A worn ring, piston, cylinder or all of the above. Assuming you have the same type plug in each engine. You try a new plug, properly gapped, and see if that helps.

Tony, thanks for the quick reply. Problem is that it has done this since I had a new top end done. So thats why I was thinking maybe it might be something else, carb? Plug? etc…

It very well could be that it wasn’t rebuilt properly, which I hope is not the case, since it has done this since the rebuild and since it is my back up motor, that rebuild was done over a year ago, and probably hard to take it back to the builder and say he did it wrong. I did see him at the last race and asked him about it and he attributed it to my newbie buddy not driving it hard, but as I look back at it, I realize it has been this way with me driving as well, but it was so long ago, I just forgot.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Maybe it’s just running real rich? What are your carb settings?

Could be the ignition is too far back.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

tony zambos
    Participant

Certainly take Walt’s advice. Try swapping the carbs between motors. And I’ve that engine builders are human. Work with him.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Just noticed that my high needle was almost 1/4 turn out and low was about 2 1/4. I guess I need to close it to 1/8 or less and run it.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Walt is on point. Sounds to rich. Make very small adjustments the high, bigger on the low.

I used to tune to the color of the header, a nice tan color. White to lean black to rich.

94y

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

for the KPV is there a “standard” setting for these needles (at a certain temp and elevation) or is every motor a little different and you just have to play with it to get it perfect?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

TIA

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Depending on what exhaust you’re using, it could be slightly different, but we ran them with the 2, 3, and 4 pipes and the settings we usually ran on the carb were between 2 and 2.5 on the low at speed, and about 1/8 on the high. Usually you have to have the low around 1-1.5 at start up to get it to pull off the grid without bogging down, and once the RPMS start to come up as you leave the grid, open it to 2-2.5.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication