Home Forums Tech Talk Push starting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Reinhardt 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ace Rossi
    Participant

Does anyone in the U.S. make and or sell a push bar for starting shifter karts?

I have looked but only found one type in the UK, that seemed way over priced!

Im considering trying to fab a simple one that either my buddies can use or when my better half is with me, she can use it!

Also, I am doing this because I myself took a nasty fall after pushing off another karter this past weekend! Hurt my left knee and right forearm and just trying to make things easier and safer For everyone!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The trick to push starting is to always keep your weight on your feet and never on your hands. If you lean into it too much you’ll either get dropped on your face or tangled up and dragged.

They make a 5th wheel that goes behind your seat with a lever.

Gif

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

I remember back in the mid-90′s, running against a guy who had a VERY LARGE friend who push started him.  Not to sound mean, but the friend was of a shape and size that he couldn’t bend down to push start him.  The tool they used?  A hockey stick, with the blade cut off and the end of the shaft of the stick cut into a “V” groove.  He could basically stand in one spot or maybe take one or two steps in an upright position at a normal walking pace and give a push and the thing would fire up.

The point being, you don’t need anything fancy.  You don’t really need much speed or distance to start a shifter, so anything to just get the thing moving will usually do.

I used to run direct drives against some guys who used the 5th wheel that Walt mentioned.  I never saw then used on shifters though – not that they couldn’t be – I just think they might be more suited to direct drive that normally takes more speed and space to get going.

William Martin
    Participant

You need my top secret mini-JATO bottle…but I can’t tell you about it, it’s top secret you know…

Scot Smith
    Participant

Ace I sent you a PM

russ Jolly
    Participant

The drivers should know better.. pop clutch, start, engage clutch, brake… or just start the kart on the stand and ground it in neutral..

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

Get ready, kart in neutral, the starter puts one foot on rear bumper, and on your signal, gives a good strong push with foot, driver hits gear lever for second gear, engine starts, grab clutch and put in neutral, job done.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Push stick sounds like a good idea until it pops off and catches the driver in the back of the neck!!!!

A block of wood and strap always served me well in a 125….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.