Home Forums TaG Rotax Max pulse line question?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Bain 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Russ Kemple
    Participant

On my older Rotax Max engine the fuel just sits in the line.  When I try to blow through the tank to push fuel into the carb it will not go.  Swapped out fuel pumps and it did not make a difference.   The pulse line appears to be pushing air, it does not suck.  Not sure if its supposed to.    Tried 3 carbs and two fuel pumps.  Any ideas?

No one replied to my last question on where do you set the air screw on your carbs.

tony zambos
    Participant

Russ,
    You maybe connecting the fuel pump incorrectly. At the hose connection with the arrow pointing in, you should be able to blow air in. At hose connection with the arrow point out of the pump, you shouldn’t able to blow in.

Start with two turns out on the air screw.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Russ Kemple
    Participant

Thanks Tony but thats not it.  I tried a couple fuel pumps and made sure the arrow was going the correct direction.  I will try blowing through them to see If they are both bad.  I keep thinking that its pulse related.  Could the reeds affect the pulse?

tony zambos
    Participant

Russ,
    The pulse line is not involved when you try blowing fuel from the tank into the carb. Sounds more like a restriction in the line. If you could blow fuel into the carb and the engine would not run, then you might have a reed problem.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Nick Esguerra
    Participant

Russ,

Try the following.  Disconnect the line going from the tank up to the fuel pump and blow to see if there is an obstruction there, especially if you are running a filter.  If that works then connect it back and disconnect the line going into the carb.  If that still works then your problem is in the carb. You said that you tried 3 carbs and fuel pumps so probably the problem is not there, but common mistakes are floats that are upside down or the carb filter plugged up.

Take the filter out and inspect for blockage and recheck the floats are in the correct orientation.  An easy check that you can use is lightly shaking your carb after putting it together and making sure the floats rattle.  If they don’t the floats are upside down.  Less likely is that your lever arms are stuck closed for some reason, or your needle is stuck.

BTW, 1.5 to 2 turns on the air screw is what most people run.

Robert Bain
    Participant

This had happened to me on my initial start of the new upgrade package. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump at the carburetor and blow some fuel in the line and then reconnect. Then blow some more air into the line and then start… Now that worked for me. Once fuel is in the carburetor everything seems to be fine.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.