Home Forums Shifter Karts Proportioning Valve for Shifter Brake system with One Master Cylinder

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Reinhardt 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jake Rathert
    Participant

Anybody know if it is legal with most series to use one master cylinder for both front and rear brakes for a shifter kart.  I was going to use a proportioning valve on the rear to dial in the bias.  I thought it would simplify things and make brake bias adjustments much easier.  It could be done on the fly.  Any reasons why this is a bad idea?  Thanks

Scott Newton
    Participant

A dual MC setup gives you an extra brake circuit in case one fails (i.e., if the rear brake line bursts, you’ll still have front brakes, and vice versa).  I’m too new to karting to know if this is a safety requirement by many series, but I know in the formula car world it’s almost a universal requirement on safety grounds.

A dual MC setup will also allow you a larger range of adjustment.  With a single MC if your rear brake pistons are the same size and quantity as either front wheel, you’ll basically have the option of 66/33 F-R split to 100/0 F-R split.  If you have two MC’s you can basically run anything from 100/0 to 0/100.

Charles Skowron
    Participant

A dual MC setup gives you an extra brake circuit in case one fails (i.e., if the rear brake line bursts, you’ll still have front brakes, and vice versa). I’m too new to karting to know if this is a safety requirement by many series, but I know in the formula car world it’s almost a universal requirement on safety grounds….

And you’d be absolutely right. The second master cylinder is required for shifters by everyone, for reasons of safety. For exactly the type of situation you theorized.

I can’t think of any venue that would allow only one MC on a 125 shifter. You can check your local org. But it’s almost guaranteed they’ll say no.  

Note: This is for a shifter kart of 125cc capacity; if you have an 80cc shifter, the use of a front-brake system/second MC may be optional. Check with whom you’re racing with.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

I believe even a single rear rotor Briggs, require a dual master as well…

Not a good idea for a single master….

CR

William Martin
    Participant

No, only karts with front brakes “require” dual master cylinders. Way better if front brakes were required on everything…

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

No, only karts with front brakes “require” dual master cylinders. Way better if front brakes were required on everything…

Depends on what we’re talking about here…  WKA Road racing DOES require a dual system braking on ALL Karts, either front/rear or dual system for rear only.  I believe they carried that out to the sprint series as well, but I don’t have a current rule book in front of me.

CR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.