Home Forums General Karting Discussion Proper Turn Technique?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Norin 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Richard Gordon
    Participant

OK.  Have a true 180 degree hairpin turn.  Goes up hill with the apex at the top of the hill.  Then it goes downhill starting imediately after the apex.  Have a decent amount of speed coming into to it.  What is the best way to get around this turn?  Is the set up on to a down hill short strait into a high speed sweeping left then right onto the main strait.   Figure a lot of speed can be gained from this turn, but have no idea what would work best.  Dropping a lot of rpm at this corner.  Specifically for a low HP hard tire set up.

Richard Gordon
    Participant

Guess answer I’m looking for is where/when to brake, where to hit apex, where to accelerate?  Have been trying to make the turn as wide as possible with wide entry and exit.  Hitting the apex at the center of the turn when you crest the hill.  Turn is so tight that it is hard to get the kart to rotate enough because you have to slow down so much.  Tough since there are several high speed corners and long straits.  Finding a balance with the handling and gearing is not easy.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Kind of hard to say just by seeing or hearing about a corner how you should attack it. Brake as late as possible and probably apex it a little late. Be on the gas as soon as you can.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Anonymous

Do you have any Go Pro Footage of this corner? Even some other class or racer?

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

One approach that COULD work with hard tires (especially if they’re hard enough that you can slide the kart, without getting excess side bite that causes you to hop, etc) and a difficulty in rotating the kart enough is to “toss” the kart into the corner and use the brakes to rotate the kart…

Hard to describe the mechanics of how to do it, but you basically want to brake real late and lock the rear end up just as you’re turning in… almost like you’re starting to put the kart into a spin, or almost like drifting… instead of letting the front end lead with the back following, you want the back end to do the rotating, by letting it slide… you may need to modulate the brake and throttle, with a little counter-steering, to get the weight transfer you need and getting on the throttle as early as you can on exit with a late apex.

Richard Gordon
    Participant

That makes sense.  Kind of pitch it in and hammer it.  Was thinking this might work.  It would also leave me set up better for the next turn and keep it from binding up around the turn.  I’ll post some footage from you tube soon.  None from my class, but should give an idea.

Richard Gordon
    Participant

Footage of one lap.  Entering turn at 42 seconds into the video.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL37B9CA045D9E5B7B&v=R4gIFSfH21c

TJ Koyen
    Participant

By your description I would not have guessed it was that corner. The corner itself is flat, but entry and exit are sloped.

The Zanardi in the video does a pretty good job. The downhill run into the next corner isn’t a big concern as it’s a relatively short chute and not a passing zone.

Drive in hard, late apex, use all the track.

Here’s my video from there from a couple years ago:

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Jason Norin
    Participant

Dude This Youtube video helped me out when  I had a similar case as yours  – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qft6vx6ccTw. With that video as a source of information, I was able to conceptualize my own technique. More Karting techniques can be found here as well – http://www.dafabetsports.com/en/formula1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication