Home Forums Shifter Karts Power Steering Setup?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Martin 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ricky Russell
    Participant

Looking into racing shifter karts. I’m a quadriplegic though, and I’m sure the steering wheel gets hard to turn at 80 mph and most of the muscles in my arms are paralyzed which would make it even harder to steer, so if anyone knows of a power steering kit for shifter karts that’d be awesome! Any ideas are also appreciated

William Martin
    Participant

I don’t know of any, but how about adapting one of the electrically assisted steering boxes that many cars have now, in place of the hydraulic type of old. Should be a lot less problem than trying to power hydraulics on a kart!

Matt Martin
    Participant

most modern electric power steering is just an electrically-powered hydraulic pump.

I know that some Super Kart chassis uses front A-Arms for suspension adjustment, this is in addition to rack-and-pinion steering.  That would likely be a good start.  The rack and hydraulics could be sourced from a power-assist, or hydraulic steering rack from a lawn mower.

johnny brooks
    Participant

Here is a kart that was for sale that had an electric power steering setup.

Unisteer?  from a Honda ATV??

http://ekartingnews.com/forums/topic/crf-450-kart-package/

Matt Martin
    Participant

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/banned13/GO%20KART/GO%20KARTS%20FOR%20SALE/DSC02015_zps0781c1a7.jpg~original

link to a larger picture where you can see the PS setup on the steering shaft and the supporting brackets/electronics.

Ricky Russell
    Participant

thanks Matt and Johnny!

James O’Brien
    Participant

Good for you Ricky! Shifters are a blast.

Visit our Online Parts Store www.eshifterkart.com
    or
    www.facebook.com/eshifterkart

Matt Martin
    Participant

Keep us updated, i’m interested in how you set everything up!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication