Home Forums Chassis & Handling Plastic vs Metal Rear Bumper on a Cadet

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FREDDY SANDOVAL 3 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jim Howe
    Participant

I have to replace the full rear-width bumper on a 2011 Birel AR28Y Cadet kart. It currently has a metal bumper, which is what it came with originally.

Would a plastic bumper make any difference in the kart’s handling? Obviously, I’d have to use different mounting brackets and hardware.

Just curious though if the bumper itself would change how the kart drives.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

The original metal bumper usually is fastened a little tighter, I’ve noticed
    All of our karts with plastic rear bumpers are left lose to keep them from binding ( you don’t want them tight )
    But for cadet karts I don’t know how it will affect the handling being a smaller frame.

Best you can do is drive it with it tight, and then try leaving it lose next session, and see how your little racer likes it
    Technically it should change something, as the old bumper is so tight
    If anything the kid will be faster, as the kart frees up on the corners. But hey, give it a try and see how you like it.

P.S. When I say lose, I really mean lose, It should rattle up and down when you tap it with your fingers. My 2 cents Fast Freddy. 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication