Home Forums Shifter Karts Pit bike motors

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Bunch 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Greg Nelson
    Participant

Everyone is looking for cheap power and something that does cost truck loads to keep.   I saw a friend I use to race MX with and he’s into pit bike racing (Kaw 110 , Honda mini bikes, tons of cheap Chinese stuff) and I’m looking at his bike, totally maxed out KLX110, trick everything, big bore, stroker crank, head work, you name it, it had it.  So recently I got rid of my 125 shifter because I just have no time or cash for what it takes to run it properly, and I’m looks at this tricked out mini bike. Hey, I stall have an old chassis and complete 125cc Chinese mini bike motors with 4 speeds can be had for $400 or even a full on dohc “Daytona” 190cc motor can be had for $1100. From what my buddy says there pretty reliable, easy to work on and make decent power. So, instead of getting a WF, a Burris R1 Yam or some clone 206 for the old kart, I’m thinking one of these cheap minibike motors.  Get to pull gears, have something that wouldn’t break the bank or vibrate every nut and bolt loose each time I take it out.  Am I crazy, or has anyone else done this (I can’t believe no one else thought about it)

Greg Nelson
    Participant

BTW, the better “stock” 150cc to 184cc motors are running about 14-17 hp, maxed out 21 to 23 hp.

Ray Lovestead
    Participant

Could go one further and see if there is something on a scooter that would have more muscle.  The pit bike motors are so small and low quality (well, the piece of junk I had..)

We’d simply need more hp to make it interesting enough to gain traction.

It does beg the question though:

http://scootercatalog.com/250cc-4-stroke-liquid-cooled-engine.html

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

My dad actually had a few setup and ran them at OVRP.  The ones he used were clone motors, based off a Honda XL200, I believe.  Electric start, they were cool, never caught on though….

It’s a great idea, but it’s difficult for anyone to invest in something that isn’t an actual series or class…  You saw that happen with the Rotax classes.  SSC threw a ton of money to create a series, now there’s how many different TAG classes?

My suggestion would be to get a couple of buddies to go in with you at your local track.  If get three people to start a class, you might have a chance at getting something going…

Go luck…

CR

Tim Salvino
    Participant

I’ve seen a few done like that, mainly vids on youtube of people running them up and down the street. I have always wanted to try it. I have one of the X-18 pocket bikes. 110cc, 4speed with a clutch. Its so much fun. Stock motor, $50 exhaust and a bigger carb. It’ll hold the front tire 6″ off the ground all the way through 1st gear on a hard launch, and im 200lb lol.

I say go for it. Get one of the 140-160cc motors for ~$500 or so. It should give a good fight to an F200.

Here’s a few videos I found:

Gary Smith
    Participant

5 years ago, I had the same idea, luckily my buddy talked me out of it. He said “why try and re-invent the wheel, get a CR80″ I got a CR80 and love it, parts are readily available, plenty of after market karting support, like motor mounts, pipes, shifting J-arm and counter shaft sprockets. A stock CR80 makes about 24 HP, I can keep up with most 125cc tag karts, but CR125’s kick my butt down the straights.

Good luck,

Gary

Honda CR80 #55

Howie Idelson
    Participant

Do it. They work awesome. Super cheap and fun.

Greg Nelson
    Participant

Exactly, I had a 125 moto shifter, spend more money and time than ever driving, plus i’m too old and fat.  I just want something fun (gears, reasonable power) and won’t kill me or my time and bank account. Thought about a WF or a 200, but I like pulling gears, so I’m gonna screw around with this idea and be out no more than the cost of a few sets of tires (another thing that should last 5x longer.)

Larry Andrews
    Participant

Chonda Shifter?  Cool…  I like my WF but two expensive rod failures in an hour has me thinking.

Motors are pretty easy to come by.  Just need to get someone making and selling a mount, sprockets and exhaust.  Not a lot of folks can do this kind of fab work so I doubt it’ll catch until everything is available as a bolt-on.

EDIT:  Looks like standard sprockets are 428.  One problem down…the second nearly done and then we need an exhaust kit.  Hmmm….

Gary Smith
    Participant

Larry, you hit the nail on the head, there is no after market support for these motors, that is why a Honda CR80 is a perfect package, there are motor mounts, #428 counter shaft sprockets, and pipes readily available. You can’t race this package, but who cares? I just want to bang gears and have fun on practice days!

Greg ,I’m an old guy also, my buds have 125cc Hondas, they try to talk me out of this 80cc junior crap all the time, I keep telling them, “How come you show up at work on Monday with all your aches and pains from karting? I feel fine, no problems.” I get to bang gears all day long, go pretty fast without the brutal beating of a 125cc shifter. As far as cost, I don’t see it, a properly running stock CR125 needs nothing more than a top end every 15 hours or so, for about $125, if you do the work yourself, and a bottom end every 50 hours.

Just my  2 cents

Been there, looked at it, went to Honda CR80 instead.

Gary

Honda CR80 #55

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

There’s no support because nobody organized it  yet…

Somebody send me a motor, and I’ll make a motor mount available…  I think it’s a really good idea for these motors, just like the clones are for clutch karts…  I’m kinda partial to 4 stroke shifties…

CR

Gary Smith
    Participant

I’ve been doing a little research on these engines again , one of the things that turned me off was  the shift pattern, it’s all up, neutral on the bottom. When I was a teenager, I had a Kawasaki 350 twin street bike, that bike was fast. I hated the shift pattern, all up, when down shifting, once in a while you would go past 1st and into neutral. I know on my CR80, I only go into 1st when starting out or have a major problem on the track,  but I know I won’t hit neutral by going to far down on the shift pattern, just one more thing to think about.

Gary

Honda CR80 #55

Tim Salvino
    Participant

My X18 pocket bike with the 100cc 4 speed is 1 down 3 up. But i do think most of the more powerful motors are 4-up

Greg Nelson
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Chris Reinhardt wrote:</div>
    There’s no support because nobody organized it yet… Somebody send me a motor, and I’ll make a motor mount available… I think it’s a really good idea for these motors, just like the clones are for clutch karts… I’m kinda partial to 4 stroke shifties… <span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align: center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BpTY3IBXY?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent</span&gt; CRLove it, but is the video date accurate?  120+ mph, that has to be off and will those motors (what are you using) really pull 10,500rpm?

Greg Nelson
    Participant

Building a motor mount is a piece of cake, that’s no problem at all, I’m in the process to figure out what motor to get.   A 4 stroke would be fine, not worried about the all up shift pattern either.

Chris R, what video system shot your footage?

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Actually, 125+ Data is right off the mychron, speed probably is higher, I use actual tire size, not what I think it grows to…  That sucker will twist better than 10,500 too….

GoPro camera….

Motor mounts are not a big deal for somebody that can weld one up, but I haven’t seen a home made CR125 motor mount in more than 10 years….  Most if not nearly all drivers don’t have the time, means, or skills to build one…. Making motor mounts, pipes, gears, etc available, makes it easier to get people involved…..

CR

mal crosher
    Participant

Done it . Don’t . Just finish up with pile of junk engines with trashed gearboxes.

last a whole 10 min on bitumen kart. limited amount of downshift/ compression lock ups before they say good bye.

botm manual and semi auto.

Unless you go out and spend $500 on Takegaw 5 speed. Then you’ll want Takegawa casings as with most of these china XY pattern
    I have a sand off road buggy with one which is 3 speed and reverse. done on engine already . gearbox. I have since found the Lifan and Loncin brand ones are the best of them and on the dirt seem to be holding up. You can get the gears in various patterns. Only Takegawa does the 5 speed i know of.
    This is Underbone racing in Asia. 115cc seems to be best for these engines. all takegawa stuff

mal crosher
    Participant

I build mini moto gp bikes. Almost same as honda nsf 100 but I use these horizontal Lifan 125 engines.

here they pretty much are again in Europe in 160 guise.

Aaron Bunch
    Participant

On the bikes the foot pegs bolt to the bottom of the cases. So use a KT100 mount and bolt the mount to the motor using the foot peg holes.

Also so the shift is in front of the sprocket, so no need for a J arm.

Aaron

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.