Home Forums Non-Karting Motorsports Discussion Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le mans, Anyone?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Livengood 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Keith Bridgeman
    Participant

So anyone watching this 4 part mini series Patrick Dempsey, Racing Lemans.   Its really very good.  No fluff just straight up good behind the scenes racing.   Lots of how hard it is to get money to race at this level.  Its on Velocity.   Most on here would enjoy it.

Bob Baldwin
    Blocked

Keith : actually so far I have missed it . Certainly at that level it takes a BOATLOAD of $$$$ to make it happen . Actually I think Patrick Dempsey has the Racecraft talent to make it happen  . There are more than a few “Actors ” that have Raced  on their own DIME so to say James Garner and others come to mind but Not at this level . I actually met Dempsey through my daughter at Daytona a few years ago very brief but got the impression he was very level headed had some stated goals that you sumized he would attain ..

Back in Conn Many moons ago My father was involved in Real Estate Development one of the Properties he had managed was an old industrial building that Paul Newman owned .well he called me up and said we were meeting him at 2:30 at the bldg ,So I picked up my daughter at high School at 2:00 drove to the bldg met my father 5 minutes latter Newman shows up , Kind of thought he would have had a few Business advisors with him but that was NOT the case .Did about a 30 minute walk through with him ,He approved the changes meeting done . Walked back to the cars and my father left . just before he got in the car he turned to my daughter and asked if she were the one that had helped him with some issues at Watkins glen ? Yes she said and the next thing you know we are discussing racing for about an hour .

I don’t recall the whole conversation but a few things stuck out in my mind .

Was he Cheap 0r Frugal in his Spending ?

NO realized he was fortunate enough to invest his funds to CHASE his DREAMS

Did the “NAME” recognition help with the Sponsorship ?

Yes to some extent but he was actually surprised that SOME companies wanting to participate really had NO idea at all about racing . He actually had 2 guys that were doing the Sponsorship seeking on a % basis .

Could he have self funded to get to the next level ?

Yes but remembering back to the days when he lived in a 5th floor Walk-up Apt he thought it would be Challenging to seek sponsorship.

was it Worth the EFFORT ?

To some extent YES though even on his own he was working 45-50 hours per week to reach his goals

We all TEND to think that ACTORS are somewhat Spoiled for the compensation they get for WHAT appears to be an EASY life . But Paul Newman achieved his dream and I am quite sure Patrick Dempsey with a LOT of hard work will achieve his also

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

I’ve been DVR’ing the episodes.  Very good mini series!  I find the story parallels my current situation, but on a higher level.  I have had a spat of bad luck this year racing, and find myself in the same boat…  Injuries, damage to equipment, no funding to continue racing, so I have to pick races to attend, the mental fortitude to get back in the car after a bad accident.  I am enjoying watching this series!

John Gay
    Participant

I had several talks with Patrick last season while working some of the ALMS events at different tracks and not a negative thing I can say about him.  He’s always looking to improve as a racer and his head is in the right place.  Joey is a great compliment to him and they work great as a team.  To bad they lost the Lola at Petit last year, but.. that’s racing!  the bect of luck to them both.

Chris Livengood
    Participant

The series is a little misleading. One on hand they say that he isn’t doing it the easy way and he isn’t buying his way up. On the other hand the ignore that he’s never been fast, and that all he can consistently do is use up spare parts competently. I’ve seen him on track for years now, he’s had a few decent runs, but nothing amazing. If there is one thing that Pat is doing right it’s that he is surrounding himself with a fair amount of talent. That alone will likely be good for his future as a driver.

As for the show, the production quality is really good. It’s not Truth in 24 good, but it is good. I love that it covers sports car racing and that it makes it sexy again. It puts the James Dean on sports cars, and that is amazing. My girlfriend, who initially wanted nothing to do with it, even found it mildly interesting. To be fair, she does like Top Gear, but also probably finds Pat sexy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.