Home Forums General Karting Discussion Old guy becomes rookie, beginner, FNG.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Hachmeister 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mike Gordon
    Participant

After a lot of money in rental karts,  I bought a Tony TAG kart. I’ve been lurking for a week reading and learning fuel, oil, mixture ratios, and all the beginner stuff.

A little humbling for an old fat guy with previous motorsports experience. I’ve been having fun with my ride, but my lack of “real” karting experience has quickly become evident.

(so far I’ve only bent one tie-rod).

My first request for advice may be asking where to buy replacement parts.

So, I decided to join, because I’m sure I’ll have other questions.

Gordo

Brian Mead
    Participant

Gordo, welcome to the sport. Don’t worry about age. If your eyes are still good and you can get out of the kart, your good. Learning curve can be steep for tag, you may spend some time catching up to the kart. As for parts, whoever is local where you are. I’m a firm believer in this, the extra pennies you may save are meaningless when your really in need of help to get back on the track raceday. Even if that means he’ll go where you could go direct. The guy helping will know what to do, he’s been there. Good luck and have fun! I still am.

CLIFF BRYANT
    Participant

For parts I like Comet Kart Sales. Good people and great service. But there are a lot of good shops out there.

GROWING OLD IS MANDITORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Walt Gifford
    Participant

+1 Comet Kart Sales.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Aaron Hachmeister
    Participant

It’s really going to depend on where you’re from. If you have the money and space to be able to stock up on most spares then online may save you a little, but it’ll always benefit to know where the local OTK kart shop is so you have a nearby place to pick up parts and have support at the track

Mike Gordon
    Participant

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. Already ordered and received my tie rod. Been looking at other posts for toe-in specs. Any suggestions on how toe + or – affects a kart on the track?

Gordo

Aaron Hachmeister
    Participant

Positive toe (toe out) will make the kart more responsive in cornering. Most karts run a little toe out on the stand since when the kart goes on the ground the tires straighten out. Toe in will stabilize the kart in a straight line but reduce turning ability and cause understeer, which is undesirable for racing purposes.

Mike Gordon
    Participant

Thanks Aaron.  I’ll make the adjustments and pay more attention to handling and over-under steer during cornering.  Is 1/8″ out considered “a little” or should I go 1/4″ ?      Also ordered new chain & sprocket from Rocket Racing.     At the rate I’m going, I’m gonna know those folks as well as Comet on a first-name basis.

Next question- tire pressure.  What’s a good starting point?  It seems the rental karts run 20-ish psi. I’m down to the 12-14 psi range front /  16-18 psi rear. Feels like I would like to go even lower. Am I in the ballpark?

Aaron Hachmeister
    Participant

I believe 1/8 is standard, 1/16 out from straight on each side, naturally.

That’s a common happening. You’ll know anybody in a 50 mile radius by your first year of racing!

As far as tire pressures go, kinda?? Anywhere from 8-14 is typically run depending on which tires you run, but your rears should not be that high. Start with 12 all around, and work your way from there. Staggering tire pressures like that will upset the kart unless it’s in smaller amounts, 1 psi difference maximum.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication