Home Forums Chassis & Handling Old fat guy that still Loves karting, chassis set up

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Costales 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John Costales
    Participant

I have been playing around with a cheap chassis for about a year. Heavy kart and driver 440 lbs, low hp clone BSP. What works for the lighter karts does not apply for me on basic set up. Any direction would be appreciated.

John Costales

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi John,

At that weight and with the engine selection, the goal would be to just work on keeping your driving smooth. For me, there would not be much to change other than track width at the front and rear, along with tire pressure. Those are your basic changes to make, then from there start working on ride height and front end geometry.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

John Costales
    Participant

Thanks David.

I have built in every adjustment possible and have found that 44″ in the front and 55″ in the back works well. The steering is set up with the most Ackerman available -zero toe and 1 degree positive camber. All the adjustments are done with 200 lbs in the seat to simulate the sumo driver. Making the kart free in the rear has never produced faster times just inconsistent laps. At our local track my lap times are .5 second per lap slower than the #1 qualifier but the 50 extra pounds has a little something to do with that.  Still I want to get the most out of what I have.

John Costales

TJ Koyen

I agree with David. Set the kart up completely neutral and focus on driving it smoothly. With such low power and such high weight, the kart is probably never going to work as it’s supposed to.

My dad is probably about 410 suited up in the kart running LO206 and he’s finding that chassis adjustments don’t really do much for him.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

John Costales
    Participant

Thanks TJ

Your dad’s kart less the extra 30 lbs. is where I am at. How does your dad qualify compared to the rest of the pack?

John Costales

TJ Koyen

He hasn’t raced yet, just practice days so far. But from what I hear, there’s a lot of guys pretty far overweight in the LO206 fields around here, who are just looking to have some fun and drive.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

John Costales
    Participant

I would like to offer what I have learned over the past year or so to see if it will help someone else. Basically to prove what I have changed will work for someone else and validate my results.

John Costales

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication