Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 Oil leak on side cover

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  William Weiler 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

My clutch side cover is leaking oil in the back at the bottom from what looks like the gasket area. I checked bolt tightness and they were okay. I was told something about you can’t take the engine apart at all and still have it be legal. Can’t a shop just put in a new gasket and make it legal again?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

I don’t think it’s the side cover gasket, it could be chain lube running down the cover, or oil spillage from when you did your last oil change, it gets trapped between the engine mount and the side cover.

I could be wrong, but clean it up really good with brake cleaner and dry it out. Then you can re check again. Or post some pictures.

William Weiler
    Participant

Freddy – I did what you said and it leaked. I inspected with a magnifier for cracks but didn’t see any. It is a significant enough leak I can’t ignore it. I can clean it, remove the oxide, and use metal epoxy to seal it. That may work.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Wow, then you most likely have a bad gasket, or a bad crank seal

Those engines are very consistent, but stuff happens.

At this point I would contact the dealer you bought it from, and see if they can issue some kind of a defect warranty, since you can’t open the cases.

Good luck to ya’

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Ok

One more thing, this is gonna sound stupid, but the only stupid question is the one that doesn’t get asked right?

How tight are both yellow oil filler caps? If not tight enough it will seep oil down the seam and gasket area.

How much oil did you put in the engine, when you filled up?

William Weiler
    Participant

I bought the engine used and the builder was clear he did the minimal of confirming, he started it and ran to for a while, and changed the oil. He didn’t guarantee it. I think for what I paid, this was fair. He recommended high temp RTV to seal it. Yeah the yellow caps were tight and it was dry all around them when I checked for leaks after cleaning it with electric spray. The only place wet with oil was the near the bottom surrounding the gasket.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Yeah, looks like you’re gonna have to clean real good underneath, grind it down so that the sealant or JB weld you use will stick to it.

Good luck.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Ive heard you can take out all the bolts and get enough gap to get a new gasket in there even with the seals in place. Never tried it myself.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Marty Troup
    Participant

You can loosen up the bolts just enough to get a small screwdriver in and spray it with brake clean to remove any oil and the use your finger to push in some yellow gasket sealer. Its a one time shot as its a pain to remove. Be careful not to damage the gasket with the screwdriver. RTV sealer will blow back out after a few runs.

I think the reason for the gasket failure is ring blow by on the piston.

you have two ways to solve this the cheap and easy way is to drill a few more larger holes in your oil catch can so the gasses can exit. or pull the cylinder off and hone and re ring it.

Ron Towles
    Participant

Remove the cylinder on a LO206???? I’d like to see that.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Yeah, you can’t remove the cylinder or the piston out of it, you can only remove the head, and that won’t get you anywhere.

Maybe Marty doesn’t know that this engine is a spec/sealed motor and you cannot open it.

I was gonna suggest to loosen all the bolts on the side cover and crack it open so that William could clean up and squeeze some ultra grey sealant in there and then re tighten it, but you can’t even twist those bolts at all due to the cable on the engine spec seals.

Best thing to do is cut the factory seals off, refreshen the engine, re seal it and use it as a back up or practice motor. Then buy a new one, that way you won’t have any problems for at least 3 years, you may get 5 years if you take real good care of it.

I have a brand new package available, or just the motor long block by itself, if you’re interested William.

William Weiler
    Participant

I put RTV all over the seal and after 88 laps there was no leak. Maybe that is fixed for now. A new engine is definitely in my future, but this one is still making okay power. I will probably run it until people start out accelerating me.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication