Home Forums General Karting Discussion Not new to karting but new to trying to purchase one.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Howe 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

I have always been a fan of kart racing and now I am thinking of actually purchasing one for my son.  He’s very interested in driving.  He is 14 will be 15 the first of the year.
    Can you point me to some great websites, besides this one, where I can get information?

There are so many things I don’t know about the sport.     We are wanting to get into the road racing side of it.  We have found a track and have started asking a few questions.  But basic questions I haven’t as I don’t want to bug everyone so much.

One question I have is, what class would he race in?  We don’t want a TAG or anything but we want something that will be fairly fast .  Just some type of novice class. I am thinking it would be something with a Yamaha kt motor. I guess.

Just any information you can provide would be wonderful.  Thanks.

Senna

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Depends on what is supported in your area.

Kt100
    Kpv100
    World formula
    Etc. These are all options

Daniel Justice
    Participant

Hey Rob,

What region of the US are you in? I road race myself with the WKC on the east coast. The KT100 is a solid choice for a starter motor, since he’ll be 15 he you can put a SBX muffler on it and go. You should look for a sprint CIK kart, that will allow you to race at sprint tracks also. Of course, you’d want a sprint-enduro for the full road racing experience. But the speeds will be higher also.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I have a race ready coyote SRR for sale. Send PM

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

David Cole
    Keymaster

Welcome Rob. Just to confirm, do you mean road racing as is in the longer tracks, or just sprint racing, on purpose-built karting tracks? What track are you looking to race at?

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Thanks guys. We live in the kentucky/ohio region. Camden kart track in Indiana is the closest.  Also, new castle Indiana . Both tracks are a 3 hour drive each way for us. Surprised there isn’t anything in kentucky.  Any idea why? I know there are some dirt tracks around but no road courses for the karts.

We are interested in road racing on probably purpose built tracks.  I’m guessing my son would race in the junior sportsman class.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Rob, please check your Private Messages.

New Castle is a great facility to learn about the sport. Comet Kart Sales is the shop that can get you the equipment you need to get started in the sport. Your son would race in Junior categories, which is 12-15 year olds. To start, I would recommend a Yamaha engine. This way, he can use the same engine as he gets older.

For Ohio information, contact Adreniline Karting. They can breakdown your options in Ohio.

I believe there is an indoor kart track in KY – http://www.bluegrassindoorkarting.com/

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Jim Howe
    Participant

Have you thought about street racing Rob? The Southern Indiana Racing Association runs 10-15 different events every year in Indiana and Kentucky with a wide variety of classes.

I run there with my team and enjoy the racing, atmosphere, and people. We have a lot of fun and some great racing. Check out the SIRA website or Facebook page. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication