Home Forums General Karting Discussion NJMP F1 Karting

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AJ Reuter 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

steven hahn
    Participant

Hello,

My name is Steven Hahn. I am the new manager here at F1 Karting and i just wanted to say that I’m thrilled for the opportunity to work with our participants and the NJMP team and I look forward to a great season, and taking F1 Karting at New Jersey Motorsports Park to the next level. Please feel free to email me at shahn@njmp.com for any questions you may have and i look forward to seeing you all for the 2014 season at NJMP.

Ambrose Buldo
    Participant

Great to see rack management posting and solicitating input….

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Hello Steven Hahn, I would be curious to find out about any safety training track workers receive that might prevent them from driving golf carts across the racing line and parking golf carts in run off areas during pro kart practice sessions.

Thanks,
    Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

james kent
    Participant

Make racing weekends worth coming to again. Full track practice on saturdays before the race day on sunday. It makes absolutely no sense for practice to be half track saturday.

Ayrton Mutagaana
    Participant

Make racing weekends worth coming to again. Full track practice on saturdays before the race day on sunday. It makes absolutely no sense for practice to be half track saturday.

I think they do this so they can have Rentals use the other half of the track. The Solution is to look at what the guys at Mooresville do. They have Rentals and Kart practice taking turns on the use of the track without inconveniencing either group. Their customer service at MMX is so good that it is worth the 500 mile treck down there every now then for us.

Just a thought!

james kent
    Participant

Its about the track making money. Rentals bring them in consistent revenue. Racing karts dont. But who is going to come down to kart for one day at a beautiful track when you consider the time and expenses of a “500” mile trip ? Njmp needs to return to the days of tim hannen when racing actually happened there.

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Just putting this out there:  the thing that makes Mooresville work so well is the 40-plus garages they have rented out.  Kart owners store and work on the karts there, and this make a great environment for consession karters to come to.  There’s always a racing kart lapping there and I find the guys who rent the consession karts really like watching those.

Like mentioned above, MMX runs 10 minute sessions, alternating between rentals and racing karts when both are looking for track time.  When there’s no consession karts, the track is open to kart owners.

Having the garages there makes things very convenient for kart owners and there’s always a kart owner or two there.  At tracks I’ve visited without garages – when I’ve had to transport my karts there –  I’ve typically been the only kart on track.  IMHO, having this type of day in and day out activity is the backbone for a successful track.  It brings new karters in, exposes them to racing karts, and creates a community around the drivers at the track.

Anonymous

Been to Mooresville track.. Very impressed and run by really nice people… They made me feel like I was home.. I plan to retire there in 3 years. I know where I will be playing…

I will have to sell my PRD and get an X30 or Rotax.

Ayrton Mutagaana
    Participant

James, you somehow missed my point.  You expressed your dissatisfaction with practicing on a half track before a race on Sunday.  So I followed with an example of a track that is able to share track time between rentals and karters effectively.  How do they do it?  NJMP can look at the model MMX is using to see if it would work for them.  I was not suggesting that everyone drives 500 miles.    It was merely an example of personal experience.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

NJMP doesn’t run the rentals on the full track because it’s too much stress and wear on the engines to have them at high rpm that long.

It is what it is, glad they have practice/club racing there at all.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

james kent
    Participant

Relax senna, this is about njmp f1 karting input.

Ayrton Mutagaana
    Participant

Relax senna, this is about njmp f1 karting input.

Lol!  Good one James! But it is actually the parent mouthing off here!

AJ Reuter
    Participant

Hey All, coming from a different perspective (worked at njmp for a year and a half under both Hannen and Paape).

1) Unfortunately for us “pro” Karters, the concession karts make the money there. they are usually booked from open to close on weekends.

2) the big problem with “full” track practice is the change over. when i worked there i found out how much different the barriers and stuff have to be for pro karts compared to concession karts.

3) stay in contact with the track. if you want full course practice, call ahead and check. they might make time for you, i know we did it with both managers when i worked there.

@Steven, I wish you luck with it, it was one of my more enjoyable jobs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication