Home Forums Tech Talk Newbie Air Filter Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ace Rossi 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mike Edwards
    Participant

How do you guys clean and maintain your foam air filters?  I’ve raced motocross for years and we clean them with solvent(usually gas) and oil them.  Is this necessary for karting?  I’ve just got into Tag at Mooresville.

Thanks, Mike E.

Juan David Gomez
    Participant

Yes, clean it with gas and then I add a foam filter spray oily additive that supposedly improves air flow and improves filtering.

andrew
    Participant

hit autozone and grab some k and n filter oil…works great

Oscar Biondi
    Participant

K&N filter oil is not intended (and does not work well) for foam filters. I’ve used No-Toil and it works great, very sticky. Need to get their filter cleaner too. Their oil now comes with a no-alcohol formula that used to cause some filter glue issues. There are others like UNI, etc. Do a search for foam filter oil…

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Never use gasoline to clean anything unless you’re ready for your hands to catch on fire. That’s basic shop safety. Dish washing liquid and hot water works just fine.

Ace Rossi
    Participant

What I’ve always done is use a K & N after its been oiled and then wrap it with horse wrap that acts as a pre filter! You will be surprised as how little your filter gets dirty!

horse wrap found in many colors at any tack shop and it sticks to itself with no tape!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.