Home Forums Tech Talk Newb..Help with starting first kart

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Adam Dozier 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Adam Dozier
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone. I am a newbie with karts. I just picked up three enduro karts. They sat for several years and I got them for free. I have 4 Rotax motors, three chassis, and 4 full sets of body work. I am attempting to start the first kart after assembly. I am not sure if I have the right wire going to the spark plug from the ignition source or not. I have changed out the fuel line, and fuel filter. Also pulled the spark plug and turned the motor over by hand. I have put the plug back in and I do have an electric starter for it. I turn the motor over with fresh fuel, primed like I had researched. I cover the carb and try to start. It just spins over. I can hear compression. There are two pig tails coming from the motor. I have one connected to the ignition. The other is sitting disconnected. I don’t know where it goes.

Adam Dozier
    Participant

To clarify…Can someone help me to get this kart started? I heard from someone there my be a 9v battery involved somehow somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated. I see there’s 45 views so far and no comments.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Adam

You may be right, it may be necessary to install a small 12v battery to complete the circuit, shortly after that you may wanna check for spark

Did you clean the carburetor?

Did the engine run before the last owner gave it to you?

If so, then install a new battery, prime the fuel to make sure there are no air pockets in the fuel line, pull the choke up and fire that puppy up, hook up a spark tester to make sure you’re getting spark, if not then start looking at your wiring harness and coil. That would be a good place to start.

Greg Wright
    Participant

I’m no Rotax expert but doesn’t the Rotax use a “total loss” battery powered ignition?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

Are you using that electric starter to start the engine?????, If so, is it rotating the right way, most of those starters are set up to start engines from the right side.

James McMahon
    Participant

That looks like an old Rotax shifter motor, 12x  series, It’s not a Max.
    Not many people are familiar with those motors these days, you might have to do a little “discovery” to get it running.

As Steen pointed out, that starter is likely turning the motor the wrong direction. Those motors came with different ignition types over the years so figuring out how it should be connected could be fun.

See if you can verify it is sparking, and troubleshoot from there. Remove the plug from the head, take an old plug, open the gap to about 4mm. Turn the motor over by hand with the wheels and see if it sparks.

James McMahon
    Participant

Also noticed there is a fuel pump just dangling…. do you have another one in line somewhere?

Mark Traylor
    Participant

call Terry Ives in Sacramento.  He knows all things rotax outside of rotax max

Riley Will
    Participant

It’s a Rotax 129 or 130. Where is the CDI box?  All is see is a stator and coil. These ignitions are NOT total loss. The 130 had a harness for  battery power to run a power valve servo.

Call or or text me at 403-680-1517 if you would like my help. I have 3 of these engines currently.

Adam Dozier
    Participant

Wow! This is an overwhelming response! Ha ha

Freddy: Yes the motor ran…YEARS ago before the owner died. I did clean the carburetor. I don’t know where the choke is. This thing is foreign to me.

Steen: I have two starters. One is clockwise, and the other is counter clockwise. I wrapped a strap around the rear chain side tire and put the kart in first gear. The motor turned over counterclockwise. So I am using the counterclockwise starter.

James: I am heading to work..I will check for spark tomorrow and post up results. Is that silver thing hanging there the fuel pump? I don’t have a clue. LOL. Thought it just sucked the gas in the carb after it cranked. LOL There may be a problem right there.

Riley Will
    Participant

You need a CDI box. Call me.

Adam Dozier
    Participant

So I found this little guy laying around.

Has the same pigtail as the one on the kart. Except it already is connected to a coil. So I guess I will remove the coil and attach this thing to my kart?

And…How do I hook this up??

Riley Will
    Participant

Perpendicular port is the pulse. Hook up to pulse fitting at front of engine on crankcase beside water inlet. Follow arrows on pump. Fuel in from tank and fuel out to carb.

Riley Will
    Participant

Rotax 129 CDI by the way. I have Rotax manuals too.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Listen to Riley.  He knows his shit.  Between Riley and Terry Ives they can provide everything you need.

Adam Dozier
    Participant

Between work and family time, I haven’t had time to get to the parts store yet for more fuel line. I had enough line for the fuel tank to the filter then to the motor. Just not enough for the pulse line to be added yet. I will update as soon as I do get the line. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Today is my 12 year anniversary…So not happening today. LOL.

I will add the line for the fuel pump, then install the CDI box thing…Then try to start it again. I will check for spark before trying to start it though and post up my results.

Thanks for everything so far guys. You’re awesome!

Adam Dozier
    Participant

Ok…So I have checked the crank case for a “pulse” fitting to connect to. I cannot seem to locate one. There isn’t any kind of nipple coming off of the crank case anywhere. Also there is a small nipple coming off the left and right of the carburetor. What connects to those. In the pics, I realize I have the fuel line connected wrong. I am trying to fix this. It was connected like this before posting the first time on here. Before I make a mess I want to know exactly where that line goes. LOL.

Riley Will
    Participant

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/dozier1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/20150922_111008_zps591iuc8f.jpg.html

this is one of your pictures of your engines in crates.  I can see some red fuel line coming off the front of the engine, this is your pulse nipple

Adam Dozier
    Participant

I went into the garage and found the motor with the red line coming from it. It is also a Rotax motor. However the motor looks slightly different from the one I have on the kart. The motor on the kart also doesn’t have the nipple coming from the crank case anywhere…I checked all under it. Is there anywhere else to get the pulse?

Riley Will
    Participant

Can you take a picture straight on the front of the engine showing me your water inlet please?

also, text or email it to me so I can expand it.

Rwill@brceng.com

403-680-1517

Adam Dozier
    Participant

Texted…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication