This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Clark Gaynor Sr. 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Hey I am about to buy a kart for this class I have never raced before and I’m curious to know what is the best type of kart to buy for this racing and another thing is anyone going to Roebling Road March 9-11 and is willing to talk to me and show me the roots of this sport?

John Ruess
    Participant

The UKC lo206 drivers mostly run Tony Kart/FA/Kosmic and CRG. Those are also the chassis the local shops run. Go with a chassis that has the local support.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Hi, Anthony! Welcome to the sport! We have raced many different classes though the years, and honestly LO206 is by far the most economical way to go, we ran yamaha’s Can and Pipe, and the LO206 is just as fast as the yamaha can motor at our local track. Extremely cheap to run, no clutch adjustment, no carburetor tuning. etc, just a little maintenance and go!!

The engine will last you at least 3 years, but could be 5 years if maintained right. This class will really teach you how to drive, as you can’t afford to make any mistakes.

John is right with the OTK chassis, we have about 5 of them, but honestly there are a few companies that are building LO206 purpose made chassis, with smaller axle and spindles, and they do perform better, we do have a hard time catching them, but the other karts are very competitive too, it all depends what you wanna do.

Do you already have an engine for this kart you’re buying? or is it a complete turn key engine/kart ready to go?

What kind of kart is it, and How old?

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Hey thank you John and Freddy for responding. I am looking to buy a straight turn key ready to race kart Freddy so what kart would you recommend to buy

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

Margay Ignite or VLR Emerald. Both are ready to race for $4,000. Perfect setups for someone new to karting!

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Welcome Anthony.

My Son and I currently race the CIK 206 Sprint class which you’re interested in.  Last season I ran a 2007 TopKart Flash, which is actually a shifter chassis.  We ran it in Stock Leopard for a number of years with good success, also with the 4 wheel brakes.  I removed the front brakes and assorted stuff, narrowed the rear to 51.5″ and left the front in neutral width and caster/camber.  It worked great!

However, my Son bought a one race old Margay Ignite directly from Margay.  On the track in the actual races, there was little to tell them apart.  But driving them back to back, we both felt the Ignite to be a little freer, and likely a tic quicker alone on the track but not much. \

I have since sold the TopKart ready to run to the WKC president.  SOOO, I also bought a one race old Margay Ignite with Mychron 5 gauge for 3900 plus shipping.  I have not run it yet, but I assume it will be just like my Sons.

The upside of the Margays is.  New or used, they will set it up the way you want.  For instance, one race old karts already have the engine broken in, valve lash and carb float set.  So you don’t have to mess with that.  They will also put whatever seat, body work, tires and gear you want.

So if you go Margay, look at their website for the used stuff.  Usually about 3500 without gauge.  For road racing– Bridgestone YLC tires, 450 front, 710 rear.  They will have some use on them, but that’s fine.  Hilliard clutch with a 21 tooth driver, and a 60 tooth axles gear.  That will get you in the ballpark almost anywhere.  Get the Odenthal (sp) mount for an extra $70 or so (trust me they are worth the money).  Ask what seat they suggest for your size and get it with room for a rib protector (they’ll have a good idea what size you need).  Tell them where to ship it, a business is best, and give them your cc number.  It will be along in a week or so all ready for Roebling.

If you need further help the folks on this forum can’t be beat.  Ask a lot of questions.  And really, just about any older Tag kart will work fine, but for the Margay it’s ready to go and works well.

FYI, we won’t be going to Roebling, but we will be at Summit Point, Shenandoah on April 21 and 22.  So far the Woodbridge Kart Club have 6 confirmed CIK 206’s, 2 Ignites on the way from Margay for two others, and another just ordered an engine for his wife for an old CRG.  Looking to be a great class.  Easy to drive, easy to maintain, very little work at the track, and they draft like crazy.  You will have a hoot.

That’s it..sorry for the grammar and spelling, I’m being called to help with dinner!!!

Clark Gaynor Sr.

WKC Board Member.

WKA NRRC Member.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

I just checked the Margay pre owned Ignites.  They have one left with one race on it.  Likely a Dayton kart, for 3495.

Just sayen’

Clark.

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Thank you Morgan and Clark!! I have looked into the margay And me and my dad are thinking about getting that last one that is used before it sales! With this class y’all say it doesn’t need a lot of work done to the motor and stuff so my question is do I really need a kart stand right away or can I go a few races without it?? And I see a lot of people with a mychon 4 and 5 do I need one of those for this class?

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

You still need to do some maintenance at home and at the track.  Get a rolling stand.  When you wheel the kart through the pits on hot tires, they will pick up EVERYTHING!!

You do not NEED a gauge, but they do come in very handy.  Especially the Mychron 5.  Very user friendly with GPS.  Get the cheapest one they have, which will be about 500 I think.  Let Margay install it and be done with it.  But really for you first couple races, you don’t need one.  The folks at the track running the same class will help you out.  Ask what fuel the CIK 206’s are running when you get there.  Ask the racers.  Get what they say.

Feel free to ask us questions.  Get some Briggs 4T oil, about 3 or 4 quarts.  Change oil each day.  Oil is cheap.  I get mine from Faster Motors, Jim Franz.  Knows his 206 stuff.  Check Fastermotors web site.

Clark.

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Will do this weekend btw the last used margay sold bout 10 mins ago:(

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Anthony, you and your Dad will have lots of fun in this class, We’ve ran all classes, from shifter karts to LO206, and this class by far is the most fun, cheap and less stressful to race with, racing other classes can get very stressful, especially when you have 2 drivers running at the same time. LO206 once you figured out your gearing for that day and set up, then you’re good to go all day, just keep your chain lubed and inspect chain tension every outing.

The answer to your other question is, any kart will do, but you don’t wanna get one that’s too old to compete, or one that parts are all worn out.

We’ve ran so many different brands, and in reality most 2 cycle chassis can be converted to 4 cycle and do just fine, but many manufactures have stepped up their game with 4 cycle specific built chassis, and they are a bit quicker.

Our Tony karts were pretty fast and we had lots of fun with them, I just bought a brand new Mad Croc chassis and I wanna test it out this season, but I was doing just fine with all my other Tony karts. Do you know how many drivers there are running LO206 at your local track? Here in Cali and many other states that class got real good traction for a few years now, and it continues to grow very fast, because it’s so much fun!!!!! And Cheap!!!!

I do have 3 OTK complete karts available if you’re interested, they are very competitive and look nice, I only put half a season or less on those engines from brand new, text me if interested (858) 717-2191 FastFreddy.

Here’s a video from where we run LO206 here in Cali, enjoy.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Anthony, might be worth a call to Freddy.  I don’t know him personally, but he posts on these forums frequently, with a lot of helpful inputs.  I doubt you could go wrong.

On another note, and since you’re from the East and interested in road racing, here’s a Youtube clip of Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit from last Sept.  It’s the last few laps of the CIK 206 Sprint race, with my Son chasing me.  The WKC will be having our first event for 2018 on this track on April 21 and 22.

Welcome to CIK 206.  You still have time before Roebling to get all your stuff together.

Clark.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication