Home Forums General Karting Discussion NEW TO KARTING

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anthony Rauccio 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Hey my name is Anthony rauccio I’m 21 years old and me and my dad are trying to get me into Karting! I do not know anything about Karting for real any advise on what kind of kart I should get what class I should run I live in Alabama is their any kart clubs around?

David Cole
    Keymaster

Welcome Anthony.

The nearest major tracks to you are: Atlanta Motorsports Park and NOLA Motorsports Park. There are probably more dirt oval tracks in your area and maybe some smaller clubs as well.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

Unfortunately you will have to travel quite a ways for the nearest sprint kart track.
    GSKA in Barnesville, GA https://thegska.com/
    AMP in Dawsonville, GA https://atlantamotorsportspark.com/karting/
    NOLA in Avondale, LA https://nolamotor.com/

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Thank you Morgan and David would y’all have any suggestions on what kind of kart I should run

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Anthony, first you need to decide what type of kart racing interests you.  Sprint (classic go kart racing on small go kart road courses), dirt oval (generally small dirt ovals specifically designed for karts) or road racing (karts racing on sports car tracks, eg: Daytona, Summit Point, VIR, Mid Ohio, etc).

The best suggestion, if you’re not sure, is to visit each type of kart race and see what’s appealing.  My guess is it might be sprints.

Find the track which you will/might race at and go see a few events.  Ask a LOT of questions, see what classes are popular, what is your budget, how mechanical are you, the shops which support those events, what engine/chassis do they support, etc, etc.

Nearly anyone without racing or karting experience, I would recommend the Briggs LO206 classes.  Extremely low maintenance, inexpensive buy in, no adjustments to the engines allowed.  They are not fast, but they allow you to spend your time on driving and chassis tuning, as opposed to messing with an expensive engine package and high dollar rebuild costs.  If wherever you decide to race, and if LO206 is popular there, I’d head in that direction.  For what it’s worth, Margay Karts (check their website), offers a model called the Ignite, which come ready to race for under $4000 brand new.  Used, good ones can be had for less then $2500.

No matter what you decide—–do NOT rush into it!!  Take your time, learn as much as you can, talk to as many folks as you can, be honest on your budget and time.  Unless you know EXACTLY what you want, stay off of eBay!

Have fun in your new sport.  You and your Dad will have a hoot!!

Clark Sr.

Anthony Rauccio
    Participant

Thank yo Clark that helped a lot I looked at the margray kart

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.