Home Forums Tech Talk New to #219 chain

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Clint Williams
    Participant

First time running #219 chain and was wondering is there a limit to how many times the chain can be safely opened/closed or length adjusted assuming proper installation and maintenance. RK Gold with no master link on a 4-stroke.

Jay Sinon
    Participant

Not sure of your answer but why do you run a 219 chain? Most 4 stroke guys run 35 chain and a split sprocket due to them being inboard of the axle bearings. The 35 chain uses a master link so you would not weaken the chain by pressing it apart. 219 chains seem to be popular with the 2 stroke crowd who run out board sprockets and chains being that they don’t have to take them apart to remove them from the kart and therefor don’t need a master link.

TaG Sr.

Clint Williams
    Participant

Jay-

I am running 219 for clearance between the rear sprocket and rear cross rail on my new frame. (Smaller chain and smaller diameter sprockets) On my old frame I had more clearance and had no issues running #35 chain. I am using split sprockets inboard.

I just didn’t know if it was acceptable to add/remove links as needed or if it would be better to just make seperate lengths of chain for each ratio combo.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Lots of people use 219 on 4 strokes. You never want to use a master link for kart racing. You can break the chain and put it back together all day long.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Clint Williams
    Participant

Thanks Walt!

Will McDonough
    Participant

I my self do use 219 chain on my 4 stroke.  We had custom clutch sprockets made and cut the frame so we could run a bigger gear on the axel.  Split sprocket too.  I did this so I could trade gears and chain with my kt100 that way I didn’t have two sets of every thing.  Why not run 219 on a 4 stroke since it’ll keep up with a 2 stroke.

Jay Sinon
    Participant

No offence Walt but if you break a chain you through it in the trash as it is stretched and damaged. I have raced motorcycles most of my life in the dirt and the street some with over 100HP and have never broken a master link. So I cant imagine a 10hp B&S engine being to hard on a master link.

TaG Sr.

Jay Sinon
    Participant

Sorry Walt,

I just re-read your post again and I now assume you mean take the chain apart when you said break the chain all day long.

TaG Sr.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If you’re running a master link on a kart and getting away with it more power to you but it’s not the HP that gets you.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.