Home Forums Road Racing new road racer with one of many questions

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Dobbs 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jack Cook
    Participant

I am signed up to race at Laguna Seca on the 24th. The last time I was on that track was in the early 80’s before the track change. My question is do you run a little higher tire pressure than sprint racing since the straights are so long? I am running a world formula because that is what I have for now. If I like it I’ll build a kart just for long track road racing. I hope to meet a lot of nice people at the track.

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

Hi Jack,

You can use the same tire pressure if you are using the tire manufacturer’s recommendations.  Some people run higher pressures for lower rolling resistance but the lap time is all that matters.

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Jack, I’ve never raced Laguna Seca, but I’ve road raced a good deal. I’ve found that the answer is: it depends. With the harder compounds, we ran higher pressures than standard sprint pressures. With softer tires, such as Dunlop D_M or Hoosier R60a, I ran sprint pressures. I’m not sure what type of compound you’re using.

Jack Cook
    Participant

I will be bringing MG reds and MG yellows. I live in the same town as Fastect racing So I can pick up other brands that John carries. Any suggestions ?

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Yellows most likely choice.

Too cold for Reds.

Watch your right side tires for relatively rapid wear.

Jack Cook
    Participant

I will have 2 sets of MG yellows  unless there is a rule allowing  only one set of tires? If tires are unlimited tires I can have a new set ever time I go out.

Jack Cook
    Participant

I received my answer from NCK must use the same tires for heats 1 & 2.  That leads to another question same tires flipped side to side?

Jim White
    Participant

I ran a yamaha sit up for many years with NCK. Tires will not be an issue for your world formula. You can run several races on a new set. You will find that too much grip in the lower hp classes actually binds it up and slows you down in the corners. You want the kart to be as free as possible to keep the rpm’s up.

Good luck. Most of all have fun and see greens and checkereds.

Doug Ring
    Participant

Jack,

MG yellows for this weekend – greens may be an option, if the weather starts to get above mid 70’s.  I treat LS just like it’s a big sprint track, so I use pressures very similar to my sprint setup.  Run used tires for the practice, and your new tires for the two heats.  Flipping tires side to side is an option between the races, for me it depends on how much wear I am getting on the front insides.

Doug Ring – Shifter #8

josh martin
    Participant

We generally run 3-5 psig higher pressure at road racing tracks than we do at sprint tracks. This increase has nothing to do with rolling resistance, but is a product of making sure that the bead stays seated on the rim. If the pressure is too low, the bead will unseat even with beadlocks.

Jack Cook
    Participant

Which would be real bad having a bead unseat going into the corkscrew.

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

I go as lo as 10lbs in my superkart and have done so in stock moto as well but you may not drive the same way I do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication